SoSS Student Advisors
The School of Social Sciences (SoSS) is moving to a new personal tutoring system which has been designed to improve your student experience.
From January 2024, students in Years 1, 2, 3 and PGT studying Accountancy and Finance, Marketing and Operations, Management and Economics will be transitioned from Personal Tutors to the new SoSS Student Advisor team.
Your Student Advisor will be your first point of contact during your studies at Heriot-Watt, and will be there to support you if things go wrong. Your Advisor will either help you out themselves or put you in touch with someone who can.
They can help with things like:
- Managing your course choices and registrations.
- Applying for Mitigating Circumstances and Temporary Suspension of Studies.
- Understanding progression criteria.
- Understanding what your coursework and exam marks mean for you.
- Helping you notify the University if you have a problem that could impact an assignment or exam (e.g. illness or bereavement).
- Guiding you if you’re thinking about changing your course or leaving the University.
- Signposting you to specialist academic, welfare and wellbeing support at the University.
If you are struggling with an issue that is affecting your studies, get in touch with your Student Advisor as soon as possible. They will help you take steps to stay on track.
How to contact your SoSS Student Advisor:
Daily drop-ins: MB 1.25a, 11am - 3pm (no need to book)
Appointments: face-to-face or MS Teams
- UG Year 1: Diane Lewis
- UG Year 2: Caitlin Cryer
- UG Year 3: Lara Stroudinsky
- PGT: Mairi Harkness
- Service Manager: Astrid Faragher