Clubs and activities
Many students take advantage of Galashiels' proximity to Edinburgh and participate in the clubs and activities on the Edinburgh Campus. However, there are also plenty of ways to get involved in the Scottish Borders.
Scottish Borders local opportunities
Fitness and swimming
- TriFitness offers a huge range of gym and cardio equipment, as well as fitness and dance classes, and is run by the Borders Sport & Leisure Trust in partnership with Heriot-Watt University and Borders College.
- Students are eligible for discounted membership rates
- Galashiels Swimming Pool is available for students to use and also hosts some fitness classes, too
Athletics and leisure
- Tweedbank Sports Complex & Bowls Hall offers athletics track, all-weather pitches, games halls, tennis and squash courts
- There are local teams in most sports
Outdoors and wildlife
- As well as offering its own Golf course, Galashiels is surrounded by many other clubs in the Borders
- Gala Angling Association offers fishing opportunities in the local area
- The Scottish Borders is home to many stables and horse-riding centres
- Cycling enthusiasts can use the 90-mile Tweed cycleway
- The Southern Upland Way passes through the town for those who enjoy walking