How to apply for undergraduate programmes
Applying for undergraduate programmes starting in September 2017
How to apply
All applications to undergraduate degree programmes at the UK campuses of Heriot-Watt University, whether from the UK or overseas, should be made online through the Universities & Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
You can get in touch with us before you apply for advice related to the qualifications you are taking and the offer you are may expect to receive.
When to apply
UCAS accepts applications from September 2016 for entry in September 2017. The first closing date for applications to be guaranteed consideration is 15 January 2017. Some degree programmes may remain open to receive applications after this date. However, we cannot guarantee this, especially for areas of high demand. You should contact the Admissions Tutor for the degree programme you are applying to for more information about the application deadline.
Your UCAS application is completed in 10 steps:
- Registration: registering to use the UCAS Apply service
- Personal details: your name, address, date of birth, contact details, nationality, residential status and an outline of any disabilities
- Additional information (UK applicants only): additional details about any non-examination-based activities you have taken in preparation for higher education
- Choices: a list of the programmes, and the universities and colleges that you are applying to
- Education: details of where you have studied and which qualifications you are taking/have taken
- Employment: details of your work history and employers
- Personal statement: a statement that tells us why you are applying for the programme(s) you’ve chosen and why we should want you as a student
- Reference: a reference from a tutor, careers adviser or other professional who knows you
- Declaration: confirming that the information you’ve given is correct and agreeing to use the UCAS Apply service
- Pay and send: paying the application fee online using a credit or debit card
If you need help with your application you should contact UCAS Customer Services on 0371 468 0468 (within UK) or +44 330 3330 230 (outside the UK).
- The UCAS institution code for Heriot-Watt is H24*.
- The programme codes you will need for your application are listed against each programme.
- Programmes based at our Edinburgh Campus do not have a Campus Code.
- Programmes based at our Scottish Borders Campus have the Campus Code S.
* For Professional Education (Secondary) and Physics / Chemistry courses, apply using UCAS institution code S75 (University of Stirling).
Tracking your application
Once you’ve completed your application you can use the tracking service on the UCAS website called UCAS Track to keep up-to-date with your progress and reply to your offers.
Provided that you submitted your application to UCAS by 15 January, you should expect to receive all offers of study by 31 March (but it can sometimes take longer than this and universities have until the first week of May to make their decisions). UCAS will email you to advise if there has been a change to your application and ask you to check UCAS Track. If you haven't provided a valid email address UCAS will send you a letter asking you to reply to the offers.
Applications after the 15th January UCAS Deadline
International applicants (non EU)
If you're an international student from outside of the EU you can apply to us now through Clearing. See Clearing for international students for information.
Applicants from England, Wales and Northern Ireland
If you're from England, Northern Ireland or Wales you can apply to us now through Clearing. See Clearing for students from England, Northern Ireland and Wales for information.
Scottish and EU applicants
Due to Scottish Government limits on the number of funded places available, some of our programmes are now closed to applicants permanently resident in Scotland or the EU-outside the UK, or who are eligible for SAAS funding. See Clearing for Scottish/EU students for full information including a list of available programmes.
Adjustment provides applicants who have met and exceeded the conditions of their offer at their firm choice, an opportunity to ‘shop around’ for a place elsewhere. The Adjustment period runs from Thursday 17th August until 31st August. However applicants only have 5 calendar days from the point they become Unconditional Firm at their original choice, to secure a place at an alternative institution.
All of our programmes at Heriot-Watt University are open in Adjustment to applicants from England, Northern Ireland and Wales (RUK) and International applicants outside of the EU. If you are interested in applying to us through Adjustment you should contact us first to discuss your options on +44 (0)131 451 3376.
Our response to your application
All applications to Heriot-Watt University are carefully considered by an Admissions Tutor or Admissions Administrator (a member of staff from the relevant programme area), whose job is to view applications. They will make one of the following offers or responses to you through UCAS:
- an Unconditional offer, (you have achieved the entry requirements)
- a Conditional offer (you need to achieve specified entry requirements before you are accepted)
- regretfully Reject your application (this does not prevent you from applying again in a subsequent year)
Responding to our offers
Advice on how to respond to the offers you receive will be provided to you by UCAS when you apply. We advise that you read this carefully, responding by the deadline stated.
Many candidates will receive dual offers for both first and second year entry. Although one of these will be the main offer, candidates who accept this may easily change their main offer to the alternative year once their results are known.
Interviews and visits to the University
Some subject areas may invite applicants to interview before an offer is made. In others, applicants who hold offers are invited to join a group applicant visit day to help you decide if you would like to accept your offer of a place at Heriot-Watt. The Education Liaison Service is pleased to arrange informal visits to the University for applicants and potential applicants on request.
All successful applicants are invited to visit the University (usually between January and April), in order to find out about their chosen programme and about the University more generally. It is also possible to visit us outside of the dates offered, or you can attend one of our open days.
Undergraduate Admissions Policy
You can refer to the Undergraduate Admissions Policy for more information about our applications and admissions processes.
Widening Access vacancies for Scottish applicants
- Heriot-Watt University is committed to widening access to students from disadvantaged backgrounds and uses a contextual approach in our admissions procedures to enable us to select applicants with the greatest potential to succeed.
- As part of our work on widening access, the Scottish Government has assigned a number of additional places to the University for students entering in 2016 whose home address is within the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation (SIMD) 40% most deprived areas.
- This initiative is aimed at further increasing the number of students who reside in key areas of underrepresentation in higher education taking up a place of study at the University.
- If you are permanently resident in Scotland and interested in applying for any of our programmes, please contact the University on 0131 451 3784 so that we can advise if you are eligible to be considered for one of the additional SIMD 40% places. We will ask you for your postcode so that we can check to see if you live in one of the areas the Scottish Government has defined as being part of the above initiative.
- Find out more on how we support Wider Access students