Undergraduate programmes starting in September 2023
How to apply
Applications to undergraduate degree programmes* at the UK campuses of Heriot-Watt University, whether from the UK or overseas, should be made online through the Universities & Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
You can get in touch with us before you apply for advice related to the qualifications you are taking and the offer you may expect to receive.
* For direct entry to year 3 of our BA (Hons) Fashion Communications and BA (Hons) Fashion Marketing and Retailing programmes only, please apply online.
When to apply
UCAS accepts applications from September 2022 for entry in September 2023. The first closing date for applications to be guaranteed consideration is 25 January 2023 (by 18.00). We continue to accept applications from talented and enthusiastic applicants, but cannot guarantee consideration for areas of high demand. If you’re interested in applying and want to find out more, contact us for more information.
Your UCAS application is completed in 10 steps:
- Registration: registering to use the UCAS Apply service
- Personal details: your name, address, date of birth, contact details, nationality, residential status and an outline of any disabilities
- Additional information (UK applicants only): additional details about any non-examination-based activities you have taken in preparation for higher education
- Choices: a list of the programmes, and the universities and colleges that you are applying to
- Education: details of where you have studied and which qualifications you are taking/have taken
- Employment: details of your work history and employers
- Personal statement: a statement that tells us why you are applying for the programme(s) you've chosen and why we should want you as a student
- Reference: a reference from a tutor, careers adviser or other professional who knows you
- Declaration: confirming that the information you've given is correct and agreeing to use the UCAS Apply service
- Pay and send: paying the application fee online using a credit or debit card.
If you need help with your application you should contact UCAS Customer Services on 0371 468 0468 (within UK) or +44 330 3330 230 (outside the UK).
- The UCAS institution code for Heriot-Watt is H24
- The programme codes you will need for your application are listed against each programme
- Programmes based at our Edinburgh Campus do not have a Campus Code
- Programmes based at our Scottish Borders Campus have the Campus Code S.
Tracking your application
Once you've completed your application you can use the tracking service on the UCAS website called UCAS Track to keep up-to-date with your progress and reply to your offers.
We aim to make decisions on applications submitted on or before 25 January 2023 by the middle of May, typically around 19 May. Whatever our decision you will be able to see this on UCAS Track. That is also where you can accept our offers.
UCAS will email you to advise if there has been a change to your application and ask you to check UCAS Track. If you haven't provided a valid email address UCAS will send you a letter asking you to reply to the offers. Please ensure you notify UCAS of any change to your email address.
Applications after the January UCAS deadline
If you have not already submitted an application in this current cycle you can do so at UCAS Apply.
Alternatively, if you have already used all five choices on your UCAS application this year but are currently holding no offers, or if you choose to decline your offers or withdraw your choices, you will be eligible to apply through UCAS Extra.
International applicants (including EU)
All our undergraduate programmes are open to International applicants.
Applicants from England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland
All our undergraduate programmes are open to applicants from England, Wales, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland who are classed as Rest of UK (RUK) for fees purposes.
Places for Scottish applicants are limited due to Scottish Government limits on the number of funded places available. In line with our commitment to widening access to students from disadvantaged backgrounds, priority will be given to Scottish applicants whose home address falls within the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation (SIMD) 20% most deprived areas or those with care experience.
We recommend you check with us for more information about the availability of places as this may be subject to change.
Our response to your application
All applications to Heriot-Watt University are carefully considered. We take into account your personal statement and reference as well as your grades. We will make one of the following responses to you through UCAS:
- an unconditional offer, (you have achieved the entry requirements). In other words, if you accept this offer, you have a place at Heriot-Watt.
- a conditional offer (you need to achieve specified entry requirements before you are accepted). If you accept this offer, and get the results we’ve asked for, you have a place at Heriot-Watt.
- no offer - we will inform you that your application has been unsuccessful this time. This does not prevent you from applying again in a subsequent year.
Responding to our offers
The deadline for you to respond to your offers will be displayed on your UCAS Track. Please ensure that you respond by the deadline stated.
Many candidates will receive dual offers for both first and second year entry. Candidates who decide to accept a secondary offer can have their main offer updated at UCAS.
Deferring your offer
If you have already applied and are now unable to start your studies as planned, you can request to change your start date. Our Deferral Policy provides guidance as to when and how deferrals can be requested and the rationale for accepting or declining this request.
Interviews and visits to the university
Some subject areas may invite applicants to interview before an offer is made. In others, applicants who hold offers are invited to join a group Offer Holder Day to help you decide if you would like to accept your offer of a place at Heriot-Watt. The Student Recruitment Office is pleased to arrange informal visits to the University for applicants and potential applicants on request.
All successful applicants are invited to visit the University (usually between January and April), in order to find out about their chosen programme and about the University more generally. It is also possible to visit us outside of the dates offered, or you can attend one of our open days.
Widening Access vacancies for Scottish applicants
- Heriot-Watt University is committed to widening access to students from disadvantaged backgrounds and uses a contextual approach in our admissions procedures to enable us to select applicants with the greatest potential to succeed.
- As part of our Fair Access Admissions Policy, students who are care experienced or whose home address is within one of the Scottish government's priority postcodes (commonly referred to as SIMD20) are guaranteed an offer if they have the ability to meet our minimum entry requirements. Please see our Coming from School page for more information.
- In addition to our guaranteed offer above we will also look to make a contextual, or amended, offer to other groups of students depending on their background. Find out which groups of students are eligible.
- This initiative is aimed at further increasing the number of students who reside in key areas of underrepresentation in higher education taking up a place of study at the University.
- Find out more on how we support Wider Access students.
Heriot-Watt University High-Achievers Scheme for Rest of UK students
The University is reviewing its High-Achievers Scheme for exceptional students. Further details will follow shortly.
Apply to our Dubai or Malaysia Campus
How to apply to the Dubai Campus
How to apply to the Malaysia Campus