Net Zero Community Hub
Where to start with tackling climate change? With the magnitude and difficulties of the challenge and the volume of information...
The Net Zero Community Hub will advance our sustainability commitments by providing a virtual platform and in-person facility to inspire and support our local communities to become sustainable. The foundation of the Hub rests on the continued collaboration of our global community and the personal sustainability commitments we make as individual members. By encouraging even small changes across our community, we can make a big difference.
What is it?
The Net Zero Community Hub will be the focal point for sustainability at Heriot-Watt.
- A cyber-physical hub of inspiration, information, invention and advice
- The physical manifestation of our web-based Sustainability information source.
- A flexible space showcasing our research, innovation and partnerships, with workshops and talks, exhibitions and demos.
Why build another building?
Good question! The building will be an exemplar of sustainable construction; a showcase and demonstrator for sustainable construction technologies, locally sourced low-carbon and renewable materials, and innovations like the K-Briq.
What are we doing?
As a research-intensive university, renowned for our expertise in decarbonisation and energy transition, we are uniquely placed to help accelerate the solutions and we’re leading several sustainability initiatives:
- We are leading the UK Industrial Decarbonisation Research and Innovation Centre (IDRIC), that is the focal point of the green transformation in the UK’s industrial heartlands. Powered by research and innovation and funded by UKRI, IDRIC develops innovative decarbonisation solutions at pace and scale in the places where it matters most
- The Islands Centre for Net Zero in Orkney aims to put the Orkney Islands at the forefront of the transition to net zero and support thriving sustainable communities through the development and implementation of Orkney as a living lab. Learn more about the Islands Centre for Net Zero.
- Our Net-Zero Plan is formalising the actions we need to take to address our own carbon footprint as an institution. Our five campuses have very different footprints. Our most recent, environmentally-designed campuses in Dubai and Malaysia are our flagship buildings in terms of sustainability. Our net-zero plan is detailed and practical, not just aspirational and inspirational words, and it will address our biggest challenges as an institution, to reach net zero by 2030.. Read more about sustainability and our campuses.
- In 2024 we are launching a Climate Advocacy course, providing participants with an understanding of the causes and impacts of everyday activities on greenhouse gas emissions, and what this means for global climate change. By engaging with our students, staff and wider communities in the drive for a more sustainable future we acknowledge and respond to a need for embedding behavioural change. The course is being co-developed with our staff and students, highlighting our own contributions to sustainability and sharing small changes everyone can choose to make.
What can you do?
If you represent a local community, industry or have any involvement in sustainability activities, and would like to make suggestions for the Net Zero Community Hub, please contact us on the email below.