Maps and directions
Heriot-Watt University Scottish Borders Campus
Travelling to campus
Bus and shuttlebus
- Travel from Edinburgh city centre via the Borders bus, X62 or X95, originating from Edinburgh Bus Station
A shuttle minibus runs between the Edinburgh Campus and the Scottish Borders Campus, twice daily on weekdays (excluding local holidays). You must book a space on the shuttlebus at least 24 hours in advance by emailing email@example.com.
As the shuttle bus has limited capacity, you must book your seat in advance of your journey. There are only two designated pick-up and stop points: Edinburgh Campus and Borders Campus. Please note that the bus will not stop at any other points on the journey.
- The bus service is for students, staff and visitors to Heriot-Watt University only
- Staff can book places on the bus provided there is space after student bookings have been taken into consideration
- If the bus is fully booked, you will be put on a reserve list, and you may turn up at the departure point on the off chance that somebody does not turn up.
- Priority will be given to those on the reserve list. If making a same day booking i.e., for the afternoon run, then please try to book before 14.30 that day.
- If you turn up on spec to travel on the bus, provided you give your name to the driver and that there is a vacant seat available you will be able to travel
- Be aware however that the bus can be full on occasions
- We can only accept hand luggage or small back packs as there is no luggage carrying capacity available on the bus, if you are travelling with large suitcases or bags then you will need to use public transport
|Departs||Departure time (prompt)||Arrives||Arrival time (approx.)|
|Edinburgh Campus (Main reception)||07.30||Scottish Borders Campus (High Mill)||09.00|
|Scottish Borders Campus (High Mill)||09.30||Edinburgh Campus (Main Campus)||11.00|
|Edinburgh Campus (Main reception)||15.00||Scottish Borders Campus (High Mill)||16.30|
|Scottish Borders Campus (High Mill)||17.00||Edinburgh Campus (Main reception)||18.15|
Timetable updated 26/01/2022
Car and taxi
Galashiels is easy to reach by car, with the A7 road running straight through the town which links to other major routes both south into England, Carlisle (A7) or Newcastle (A68/9). Or north west to Glasgow (A72 to M74) or north to Edinburgh (A7).
For travel in and around Galashiels, including from the train station to the campus there are several taxi companies. The taxis in Galashiels are ordinary cars (not black cabs), which are officially licensed and charge similar fares to black cabs. You can book in advance by telephone and most offer reduced fares for students travelling to and from the town centre and the University campus.
- Travel from Edinburgh Waverley train station to Galashiels (train’s final destination Tweedbank).
- Trains are every hour (sometimes every 30 minutes) and tickets can be bought on the ScotRail website, via the Scotrail app or at the station
- For ticket purchases, train times and service updates visit the ScotRail website
Note: trains do not run through Edinburgh Haymarket station.
- For travel in and around Galashiels there are safe cycle routes
- You can cycle from the Scottish Borders Campus to the town centre and surrounding area
- Plan your journey on the CycleStreets website
Flying into Edinburgh Airport
- Travel from the airport into the city of Edinburgh by either a tram or a bus and then follow options above for the train or bus to Galashiels from Edinburgh
Flying into Glasgow Airport
- You can get the Airport Express Shuttle bus from the airport to Glasgow Central station and from here you can get a train to Edinburgh Waverley station, then follow options above for train or bus to Galashiels from Edinburgh
Helpful travel websites
- To plan and compare journeys anywhere in Scotland by public transport you can use Traveline Scotland
- To book, plan and see train statuses you can use ScotRail
- Citylink runs buses/coaches on all major routes around Scotland and can be a cheaper alternative to the train, and to also get you to smaller locations