Thinking of leaving?

Many students think about leaving university at some stage during their studies. If anything is bothering you or you are thinking about leaving, please speak to a member of staff to explore and understand what you can do. You can speak to your personal tutor, or see the contact details at your campus listed below. 

There may be other options such as additional help (perhaps advice on how to improve your academic skills), a temporary suspension of studies or transferring to another programme.

On these pages you will find a range of information and advice that can help you if you are thinking about leaving:

  • Overcoming obstacles to studying successfully on your programme
  • Changing option courses
  • Worried that you are on the wrong programme?
  • Take a break from studying
  • Change of mode
  • Transfer to another programme at Heriot-Watt
  • Transfer to a programme at another university
  • Things to check, including possible financial implications
  • Exploring non-university options
  • Withdrawing from University

Here to help

Edinburgh Campus

We offer a dedicated email contact for your questions and concerns, or why not come along to one of our drop-in advice sessions:


Face-to-face meetings and appointments

The Thinking of Leaving service is still able to deal with your email enquiries, but our regular Tuesday and Friday drop-in sessions are no longer running for the time being. If required we can arrange a virtual meeting with you through Microsoft Teams.

Scottish Borders, Orkney, Dubai and Malaysia campuses

Contact the student advisors listed below.

Key information

Edinburgh Campus: Student Advisors

Scottish Borders Campus: Student Advisor

Dubai Campus: Student Service Centre

Malaysia Campus: Student Service Centre

Orkney Campus: Student Advisor