Incoming exchange students

You can exchange to Heriot-Watt University, for a full year or just a semester. On these pages you will find information on:

  • Erasmus and non-Erasmus exchange students
  • Semester / junior year abroad / non-graduating students
  • Registration and arrival
Erasmus and Non-Erasmus exchanges

If you are interested in coming to study at Heriot-Watt University as an exchange student you should check with the international office at your institution whether a bilateral agreement has been signed with us.

If your institution is one of our exchange partners and covers your subject area, you will have to contact the Exchange Coordinator at your home institution and ask them about the procedures to follow in order to be nominated to come to study at Heriot-Watt University. Unfortunately, we cannot accept application forms from students who have not been officially nominated by their University.

Once nominated, your home institution will send us your contact details so we can send you an Exchange Application Form.

Applications for study placements in the first semester or full academic year must be returned before 15 June 2020. Application forms for study placements for the second semester must be returned before 15 October 2020. Applications must be completed electronically and will not be accepted if hand written. To add signatures to the application from, please print out, sign and then scan a copy to (please note that we do not require the original, so do not airmail your application form).

Once we have accepted your application, we will send you a Welcome Pack containing a formal acceptance letter along with registration information and a copy of the International Student Guide and Freshers' Guide (if either of these are not available at the time of your acceptance they will be mailed separately over the summer). Details on how to apply for accommodation will also be sent with your Welcome Pack.

Semester / junior year abroad / non-graduating students

If you would like to study at Heriot-Watt University for one or two semesters (or as a junior year abroad or non-graduating student), please see our information for visiting students.

Registration and arrival procedures

Before arriving for your study placement, you will be sent an information pack by the School you will be studying in with the date of your pre-enrolment meeting. At this meeting you will meet your Programme Coordinator.

Enrolment is conducted electronically. You will receive information on how to complete the online enrolment with your acceptance letter and in your Freshers' Guide.

Once enrolment, you will be issued with a student ID card which you will need to borrow books at the University library, and use the computers, etc.

At the beginning of your placement you can bring your Arrival Certificate to the Institutional Exchange Co-ordinator (IEC) to get it completed and signed. A Completion Certificate will have to be completed and signed by the IEC at the end of your study placement. You will also be contacted at the end of your placement by the IEC to complete our exchange placement questionnaire.

Find out about accommodation (temporary accommodation, on and off-campus accommodation and council tax).

Key information

Exchange Officer & Exchange Admin Assistant