Clubs and activities
Clubs and societies
University is the time to find a hobby: with flexible working hours, some say you won't find another chance like it. Clubs and societies are a great way to meet new people and make friends with other students from around the world.
Students from both our Edinburgh campus and Scottish Borders campus are able to take advantage of the clubs and societies the Edinburgh campus has to offer.
- Our sports clubs are run by students, for students and are an excellent way to get involved in something active at university
- Heriot-Watt University's Sports Union is a student-led organisation that offers our students the perfect opportunity to join a club, receive coaching and compete in your chosen sport at higher education level.
- The Union regularly competes at national and international levels in a range of sports
- Find out more about our Sports Facilities.
The Heriot-Watt University Student Union is very active and plays a key role in bringing students together through a wide range of student-run clubs and societies. From the Computer Games Society to the Dance Club, we're sure you'll find something that interests you!
Heriot-Watt University's students and staff are involved in a wide range of musical activities, from classical and traditional Scottish to jazz and funk music. Our music groups have travelled to perform for audiences all over the country, from Orkney to Knoydart and from Skye to the Borders.
Steve King, Director of Music at Heriot-Watt and viola player with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, is furthering his initiative to expand the role of music at Heriot-Watt through events, music scholarships, music groups and the Scottish Composers Competition.
With about one third of our students from countries outside the UK, we have a real international flavour to our community. There are several groups offering support and organising social and cultural events for international students.
African, Caribbean, Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, Pakistani and Spanish groups help support students from those countries, while the Muslim students' group offers support to all Muslim students in the University community.
Sports mates programme
Are you feeling nervous about coming along to the Sports Union? Unsure what specific club is for you? Then our Sports Mates Programme is here for you.
We have an amazing team of student volunteers who are here to welcome you to the Sports Union, provide activities around your schedule and to give you an idea of what its really like being part of the Watt Family.
We have a designated Health and Wellbeing Executive Officer who's job it is to increase inclusivity and accessibility within the Sports Union to ensure everyone is welcomed no matter their sporting background.
Oriam is a space not only for high-performance athletes but also for the community. Members of the public and students alike can rent out the facilities for recreational use. Many of our Sports Union clubs have social teams as well as competitive teams so that everyone can feel comfortable trying a new sport.
With over 30 sports clubs to choose from there's loads on offer and you're welcome to join as many as you like. Club taster sessions are free to attend at the beginning of each semester so you can discover which one is right for you.
Edinburgh campus local opportunities
As well as societies and groups ran by the Union, Edinburgh campus students are able to take advantage of other opportunities on campus or the surrounding area.
- Tree trail: Track the wide variety of tree species on campus
- Heritage trail: Uncover the campuses history and art
- Discovery trail: Learn about the University's research and innovation
- Fitness trails: Take in the beauty of the campus at your own pace
There are checkpoints along each route with QR codes to provide you with information about each landmark along the way
- Parkrun is a free, fun, and friendly weekly 5k community event
- Walk, jog, run, volunteer or spectate – it's up to you!
- Parkrun takes place every Saturday at 9.30am set in our wonderful woodland around campus
- Bike Bothy is a cycling hub next to Oriam that offers bike hire, maintenance classes, servicing and repair sessions as well as breakfast workshops and group rides around campus
- The canal which links town to campus is popular for leisurely cycles
- For more adventurous cyclists, there are plenty of cycling trails around Edinburgh
- Our campus is also a stone's throw away from the Pentland Hills
- This is a beautiful countryside park featuring small, lush peaks, hiking paths and a peaceful reservoir