The ‘Black Dog’ has been used as a metaphor for depression from antiquity to the present day. The Campaign aims to:
- Reduce stigma
- Encourage more people to seek help
- Engage members of the public
- Create a new language for mental illness
- Influence Government and business leaders to adopt the campaign
- Demonstrate the importance of research
- Involve young people in mental health
- Change attitudes of future generations
As part of our drive to create a Culture of Inclusion for All, in 2014 we signed up to the campaign and in October 2015 we welcomed Watt Woof – our very own Black Dog statue following a fundraising campaign.
As a community, we are continuing to take tangible steps to support those who have mental ill-health, bringing mental health out into the open and helping to change mental health for good.
We are continuing to fundraise and it would be great to have your support.
There are plenty of ways to get involved, you can get inspiration from the SANE fundraising pack which you'll find on this page.
You can start fundraising now. You can donate £5 by texting ‘SANE HWU’ to 70500.
Keep up to date and get involved you can follow us on twitter @HWUBlackDogCampaign