Student life at Heriot-Watt
We pride ourselves on being an international university and international students make up about one third of our student population.
We currently have 124 Nigerian students studying with us at our Edinburgh campus across all study levels.
Previous students from Nigeria have studied:
- MA Accounting and Finance
- Chemical Engineering (BEng/MEng)
- Construction Project Management (BSc/MSc)
- Mechanical Engineering (BEng/MEng)
- BSc Biological Sciences
- MSc Petroleum Engineering and MSc Petroleum Geoscience
Our Nigerian alumni
Our Nigerian alumni include professionals in the African Development Bank, Shell Nigeria Ltd, Lagos State Government and the Ministry for Water Resources, amongst others.
Heriot-Watt students are able to come together to learn about and celebrate African and Caribbean cultures through our African & Caribbean Society. The Society runs lots of different activities and social events throughout the year to celebrate diversity and is open to everyone.
Meet our graduates from Nigeria
Kolawole Oluwakemi (above) from Nigeria is studying Quantitative Finance and Mathematics and Ebimo Amungo (see playlist) from Nigeria graduated with a DBA from Edinburgh Business School at Heriot-Watt University.
Chinemelu Anthony Nwosu
Read the graduate profile of Tony from Nigeria, who studied Chemical Engineering with Energy Engineering in the School of Engineering and Physical Sciences. He graduated in 2014.
Read the graduate profile of Nonye from Nigeria, who studied International Business Management with HRM in the School of Social Sciences. She graduated in 2013.
Dubamo Ebigba Aginighan
Read the graduate profile of Dubamo from Nigeria, who studied Oil and Gas Technology in the School of Engineering and Physical Sciences. He graduated in 2015.
For more details on our application process, get help with your application.
These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.
- If you would like to study in the UK and do not meet the entry requirements for our degree programmes, we recommend that you take a Foundation Programme. We offer Foundation Programmes at our Malaysia and Dubai campuses:
Year 1 entry:
- Students interested in Management based courses with an average of B2 in the African WASSCE (WAEC) including English and Maths at B2 will be considered for Year 1 entry.
- Students interested in Science and Engineering programmes will need to have completed the Heriot-Watt Internaitonal Foundation programme or an alternative Foundation Programme.
- If you hold A-Levels or the International Baccalaureate, please consult our online prospectus for specific programme entry requirements.
Year 2 entry:
- If you hold an HND, an OND Upper Credit or have completed first year at a Nigerian University with strong grades, you will be considered for direct entry to Year 2 on a case-by-case basis.
- Applicants should have an undergraduate degree (equivalent to Bachelor with Honours Degree) with a GPA of around 3.0 or Upper Second Class in a relevant subject area.
English language requirements
If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study.
Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.
Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status:
Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.
Scholarships and bursaries
At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.
The following scholarships are available to students from Nigeria who choose to study at Heriot-Watt University's UK campuses:
Students from Nigeria may also be eligible for:
- Department for International Development (DFID) Commonwealth Shared Scholarship
- Chevening Scholarships
Our representatives in Nigeria
We work with approved representatives in Nigeria who can help you apply and enrol on your chosen programme. Find your nearest representative