English language requirements
As our programmes are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability as part of the application process. This should be shown through one of the following means:
1. You are from a majority English speaking country or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree from a majority English speaking country as defined by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI). View UKVI Majority English speaking countries. The qualification must have been completed within the last two academic years.
2. You have successfully completed a degree from a UK University within the last two academic years where all study has taken place in the UK or at an overseas campus in a non-majority English speaking country as defined by the UKVI, then we will consider this on a case-by-case basis. Our decision will be made on a variety of factors including length of study, level of study, subject relevance, nature of degree and time since completion (no longer than two academic years).
3. You have passed one of the following English Language Tests within the last 2 years at the levels indicated (we will need to verify the results of the test and as such you will need to upload your original certificate as part of the application process).
|Test||Foundation Entry||Undergraduate Entry||Postgraduate Entry|
|IELTS Academic (we do not accept IELTS Indicator, IELTS Online or IELTS General Training)||Overall score of 5.0 with no score lower than 4.5||Overall score of 6.0 with no score lower than 5.5||Overall score of 6.5 with no score lower and 6.0|
|PTE Academic||44-49||54 with a minimum of 51 in each component||60 overall with a minimum of 58 in each component|
|TOEFL iBT||70||78 including reading 18, listening 17, speaking 19 and writing 21||Overall score of 90 including reading 20, listening 19, speaking 21 and writing 23|
|Trinity ISE II||Pass in all components||Pass in all components|
|LanguageCert||LanguageCert International ESOL SELT B2:132 overall, with a minimum of 33 in each of the 4 components||LanguageCert International ESOL SELT B2:133 overall, with a minimum of 33 in each of the 4 components||LanguageCert International ESOL SELT B2:156 overall, with a minimum of 39 in each of the 4 components|
- There are some exceptions, such as for our Translating and Interpreting programmes, which require higher level equivalent to an IELTS of 6.5 for undergraduate programmes and 7.0 for postgraduate programmes. Our Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics programmes require higher level equivalent to an IELTS of 6.5 for undergraduate programmes.
- The test should have been passed within two years of the enrolment date of the degree for which you are applying.
- In relation to TOEFL iBT, we do not accept myBest or Superscore results
- Where tests include individual element scores, minimum scores must be achieved in one sitting
- We do not accept Duolingo
4. Successful completion of one of our Pre-Sessional English Language Programmes within one year and one month of the enrolment date of the degree programme for which you are applying.
5. Successful completion of another UK University Pre-Sessional English Language course, based within the UK and which has BALEAP accreditation. This course must have been completed within one year of the enrolment date of the degree programme for which you are applying. It is your responsibility to prove that the mark you have obtained is a pass and would enable you to continue your studies at the UK University at which the English programme was taught.
6. Successful completion of a UK University Pre-masters qualification. This course must have been completed within one year of the enrolment date of the degree programme for which you are applying. It is your responsibility to prove that the mark you have obtained is a pass and would enable you to continue your studies at the UK University at which the pre-masters was taught.
7. Successful completion of one of the following School level English Language qualifications within 5 years of the enrolment date for your proposed degree programme with us.
|Country||Qualification||Minimum English Language Grade|
|Global||GCE A or AS level - English||C|
|Global||GCE O level - English||C or 4|
|Global||International Baccalaureate||SL4 or HL4|
|India||Standard XII when awarded by - CBSE or CISCE exam boards only||75%|
|Botswana||Botswana General Certificate of Secondary Education (BGCSE)||6|
|Germany||Arbitur Year 12||12|
|Kenya||Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education||C|
|Pakistan||Intermediate Certificate/High School Certificate||75%|
8. For Postgraduate students: If you have met the above school level English Language qualifications but did so between 6-10 years ago, we will accept an official letter from the university at which you studied your undergraduate degree stating that the language of instruction and assessment for your degree was English. To do this you must have graduated within 2 academic years of the enrolment date for your proposed Heriot-Watt degree programme. If you graduated more than 2 academic years ago, in exceptional circumstances we will consider a letter from your employer confirming English is the language of the workplace. In this case, your employer must be a verifiable, international company or government agency, the letter must come from your employer’s HR department or line manager and the signatory of the letter must be contactable. You must have worked there for a minimum of 6 months.
9. In relation to point 8, where proof of English may be inconclusive or when it is not possible to contact the signatory, the University, at its discretion, reserves the right to ask postgraduate applicants to take an in-house English test or other appropriate assessment to confirm English level. Any in-house will only be administered in exceptional circumstances and not at the request of applicants and should not be considered as a replacement for the tests detailed in point 3.
10. The University has the right to call students for a pre-CAS interview at its discretion.