For over 40 years Heriot-Watt has been a leader in Applied Mathematics.
In partnership with the University of Edinburgh we host the Maxwell Institute Graduate School in Analysis and its Applications (MIGSAA), a Centre for Doctoral Training that provides high quality instruction in analysis and the applications of analysis to a wide range of areas, from pure analysis to applied mathematics relevant for scientific, engineering, environmental or social challenges.
Our broad range of high-quality research underpins our teaching and encompasses problems including mathematical biology and ecology, computational mathematics, analysis and algebra, industrial and applied problems, and mathematical physics.
We offer a dynamic environment for postgraduate study with excellent links to business and industry which provide students with opportunities to gain hands-on experience of real-world problems, and a gateway into employment.
Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) 2018/19 Results
The Mathematics Department are incredibly proud to have been awarded a score of 100% in overall student satisfaction with the quality of the course; across all of our specialist Mathematics programmes.
- Applied Mathematical Sciences MSc
- Applied Mathematical Sciences (2 years) MSc
- Applied Mathematical Sciences Climate Change Modelling MSc
- Computational Mathematics MSc
- Graduate Certificate in the Mathematical Sciences
- Mathematical Biology, Ecology and Medicine MSc
- Mathematics MSc
- Quantitative Finance and Mathematics MSc