United Arab Emirates
Student life at Heriot-Watt
We pride ourselves on being an international university; international students make up about one third of our student population.
As well as having our own dedicated Dubai Campus, we are pleased to welcome a number of Emirati students to our Scottish campuses every year.
Previous Emirati students have studied:
- Civil Engineering (BEng / MEng)
- Mechanical Engineering (BEng / MEng)
- Chemical Engineering (BEng / MEng)
- MSc Energy
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (BEng / MEng)
- BSc Computer Science
- MSc Petroleum Engineering
Heriot-Watt students are able to join in different student societies through which they can participate in different activities to learn about Edinburgh and learn about the great cultural heritage.
For more details on our application process, get help with your application.
These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.
- All students from the UAE are required to take our Foundation Programme. For entry to this we require: Thanawya Amma / Secondary School leaving certificate with a minimum 85% GPA with minimum 85% in relevant subjects.
- For the majority of our Masters level programmes we require a GPA of 3 out of 5 or equivalent in a relevant subject.
English language requirements
If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study.
Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.
Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status:
Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.
Scholarships and bursaries
At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.
The following scholarships are available to all international students who choose to study at Heriot-Watt:
- International Fee Scholarships (School of Textiles & Design)
- International Scholarships Programme (School of Engineering & Physical Sciences)
- Chevening Scholarships
Our local office in United Arab Emirates
Mr Aftab Ali Khan is Heriot-Watt University's in-country representative based at our Dubai Campus. He can tell you what it is like to study with us here in Scoland. He is also on hand to offer advice and support on how to apply for any of our programmes at our Edinburgh, Scottish Borders or Orkney Campuses.
We also work with a number of approved local representatives around the country who would be happy to discuss your application in person.