Student life at Heriot-Watt
Previous students from India have studied:
- Actuarial Science (BSc / MSc)
- BEng Engineering
- MA Business Management
- Construction Project Management (BSc / MSc)
- Brewing & Distilling (BSc / MSc)
- MSc Fashion and Textiles Management
- MSc Renewable Energy Engineering
- Electronics & Computer Engineering
- MSc Petroleum Engineering
Indian students are an active part of Heriot-Watt Student Union's Indian Society and are busy networking with other Indian students in Edinburgh.
Scottish Development International (SDI) in India is currently setting up a business network for Indian alumni of Scottish Universities.
Meet our graduates from India
Bhavya Mandana, MSc Brewing & Distilling
I completed my MSc in Brewing & Distilling at Heriot-Watt University and I thoroughly enjoyed studying here! The encouragement and support you receive from the faculty, as well as your peers, in all spheres from academic to social, drives you to strive for excellence, and discover your full potential. Placements in well renowned companies serve as the cherry on top!
The many clubs and activities on campus cater to almost all hobbies and cultures. The university campus is beautiful and provides for great recreation, and a peaceful place to study. Also, Edinburgh is a charming place to live in, reflecting a culmination of ancient and modern architecture and lifestyles. The people are lovely, and always ready to help. Overall, a brilliant place to be in! The more you know, the more you want to be here!
Aritra Ghosh, MSc Renewable Energy & Distributed Generation
My experience with Heriot-Watt is just amazing.
It has a great environment for study, friendly faculty and staff and a wonderful campus.
Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful green cities and the people of Scotland are the most helpful and friendly. I never felt alone here.
Please come and experience with this world-class university!
Ajit Wadhwa, MSc Construction Project Management
My experience at Heriot-Watt had been great and those fond memories of my stay and education over there will remain with me forever.
The nice blend of quality education, quite and picturesque locales and friendly people makes it a life-long experience.
Besides the quality education and working experience, one can interact with people from different nations and learn about their cultures and traditions. This could boost up one's career prospects as well.
For more details on our application process, get help with your application.
These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.
- If you would like to study in the UK and do not meet the entry requirements for our degree programmes, we recommend that you take a Foundation Programme which are available at our Dubai and Malaysia campuses.
- For most subjects we require 70% overall in year 12 state board high school examinations and at least 70% in the relevant subjects. For example if you want to study Chemical Engineering, you would need to have 70% in both Maths and Chemistry.
- For Computer Science programs we require 65% overall in year 12 state board high school examinations with 65% for Maths.
- For Mathematics we require 70% overall in year 12 state board high school examinations with 70% for Maths.
- For Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics we require 75% overall in year 12 state board high school examinations with 80% for Maths.
- For students taking the West Bengal State board examinations, the pass mark we require is 65%.
- If you do not meet the entry requirements, you can complete a foundation programme, see our Foundation page for more information.
- Students who have scored highly in year 12 (80%+) may be admitted directly into year 2 of our degree programmes. Those looking to take Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics will also require 85% for Maths.
- Entry into 2nd year Computer Science is not usually possibly.
- Students looking to study Mathematics may be able to gain 2nd year entry with 75% overall average with Maths at 75%.
- For most of our Masters level programmes we require a good first degree in a relevant subject. From most Indian Universities, this means an overall score of 55% or above.
- We will consider students whose grades are slightly lower than this (52% or above) Universities of Delhi/ Mumbai/ Calcutta/ Madras/ Pune/ Bangalore/ Rajasthan and this will depend on other factors, such as any relevant work experience, the quality of the references you can provide etc.
English language requirements
If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study.
Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.
Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status:
Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.
Scholarships and bursaries
At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.
The following scholarships are available to students from India who choose to study at Heriot-Watt Univeristy's UK campuses:
Our visits to India
Our International Recruitment Office attends education exhibitions and recruitment fairs in India. Come and visit our stand at one of the following exhibitions to find out more about us, our programmes, and to get advice on how to apply:
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to know which events we will be attending in your area.
Our local office in India
We have representatives in India that you can contact by emailing email@example.com
We also reccomend meeting of our approved local representatives around the country if you would like to discuss your application in person.