- Course type
- Entry date
The Institute of Sensors, Signals and System’s (ISSS) vision is to provide a continuum of expertise in electronic systems ranging from sensors and system design, manufacturing and test and the processing of information used and generated by these systems.
As a research student here you will benefit from opportunities to collaborate with renowned research centres in the UK, Europe and the US through focused projects and exchange agreements. You might also be part of the two Centres of Doctoral Training in Robotics and Autonomous Systems, and in Embedded Intelligence.
You will also become a member of the Edinburgh Research Partnership, giving you access to a wide range of expertise and support across two universities.
We offer a stimulating international environment with all our programmes linked to the Institute’s active research groups: Signal and Image Processing (SIP), Ocean System Laboratory (OSL), Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Microsystems (MISEC), Microwave Engineering, and Wireless Communications.
We carry out world-class research in several aspects of signal processing, vision and robotics, sensor and network engineering, microsystem technology, microwave engineering, energy and power engineering.
- Robotics and Autonomous Systems
- Biomedical Signal Processing and Imaging
- Audio, Video, Graphics and Interactive Systems
- Radar, Sonar, Lidar and Array Processing
- Tracking, Recognition and Classification
- Innovative Sensor Design, Manufacture, Integration and Packaging
- Microwave Antennas and Filters
- Microfabrication and Laser Processing
- Embedded Intelligence
- Wireless Communications
Please see our Institute of Sensors, Signals and Systems webpages to view research opportunities.
Please contact Institute to discuss.
- Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
- Overseas includes applications from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in the UK. Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
Additional fees information
Funding for research programmes is on a case by case basis. Please contact the Institute for more information.
Additional scholarship information
View our full range of research scholarships.