PhD Institute of Photonics and Quantum Sciences
We encourage a cross-fertilisation of ideas across the theoretical and experimental base of photonics and quantum sciences, and through this approach we have built a strong capability to manage the challenges of contemporary academic research and working with industry.
We offer a variety of exciting and diverse research opportunities, including a range of institutional projects as well as collaborative studentships from two EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training in Applied Photonics and Condensed Matter.
For students with limited research background in photonics we offer an MSc in Photonics and Optoelectronic Devices, in collaboration with the University of St Andrews.
Formed in early 2012, the Institute builds on more than 40 years of Heriot-Watt’s world-leading research in photonics and brings together research strengths from lasers and optical sensing approaches to future manufacturing methods and the fundamentals of quantum information.
- Ultrafast Laser Science and Technology
- Condensed Matter (including EPSRC CDT PhD positions)
- Quantum Technology
- Applied Optics and Laser Systems
- Micro- and Nanophotonic Devices
- Applied Photonics (including EPSRC CDT EngD positions)
Please see our Institute of Photonics and Quantum Sciences webpages to view research opportunities.
Please contact Institute to discuss.
- Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
- Overseas includes applications from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in the UK. Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
Additional fees information
Funding for research programmes is on a case by case basis. Please contact the Institute for more information.
Scholarships and bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.
View our full range of research scholarships.