The Guardian University Guide 2020 rated our Chemistry courses Top in Scotland and 7th in the UK. We ranked 1st in Scotland for Chemistry in the National Student Survey the last six years.
Chemistry holds the key to the solutions of many exciting and important challenges that face the world today. Whether it is the development of new pharmaceuticals to treat disease, the synthesis of new 'smart' polymers with high-tech applications, the development of new catalytic systems to improve the economic and environmental properties of manufacturing processes, or the production of new fuels, there is a constant requirement for a supply of creative, enthusiastic chemistry graduates to drive these developments forward. The broad range of skills involved means that Chemistry graduates are in high demand, not just in the chemical industry but also in a wide range of employment sectors.
Our courses are very flexible and movement between BSc (Hons) and MChem degrees is possible up to the end of Year 3. We also provide opportunities for study overseas, involving year-long stays at universities in Australia, North America, Spain, Germany or France.
- Chemistry and Professional Education BSc (Hons)
- Professional Education (Primary) with specialism in Primary Science (STEM) BSc (Hons)
- Hands-on practical skills in chemistry
- Research methods through carrying out a major research project
- Collection and interpretation of experimental data
- Report writing involving the integration of written, graphic, spreadsheet and chemical modelling information into a scientific 'paper'
- Oral presentation skills and enterprise skills.
Teaching and assessment
Learning methods include:
- online materials
- small group tutorials and
- hands-on practical work.
Assessment is by a combination of examination and continuous assessment.
Professional recognition and exemptions
All of our MChem and BSc (Hons) degrees are accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC).
Industrial placements/work experience
An industrial placement is an integral part of the MChem in Chemistry with Industrial Experience degree.
Prizes and scholarships
A number of industry-sponsored and endowed prizes are awarded to students at various stages throughout the course.