Student life at Heriot-Watt
We pride ourselves on being an international university; international students make up about one third of our student population.
We are pleased to be one of the recommended British universities by the Omani Ministry of Higher Education, which sponsors Omani students to come and study with us on a new scholarship scheme.
Degree programmes at our Dubai campus and all Distance Learning courses are NOT recognised by the Ministry of Education in Oman. If you choose one of these study options, you will not be able to have your qualification verified by the Ministry back in Oman and this may then affect your future employment opportunities. We would advise you to consider pursuing your studies at the UK campus (full time, on-campus). If you already hold an offer for one of these programmes, please contact the university to ask about eligibility for our other study options.
Previous students from Oman have studied:
- BEng Civil Engineering
- MEng Civil Engineering
- BEng Architectural Engineering
- MEng Architectural Engineering
- BEng Mechanical Engineering
- MEng Mechanical Engineering
- BEng Chemical Engineering
- MEng Chemical Engineering
- BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BSc Computer Science
- MSc Petroleum Engineering
- BSc Psychology
- MA Business Management
Heriot-Watt students are able to join in different student societies through which they can participate in different activities to learn about Edinburgh and learn about the great cultural heritage.
For more details on our application process, get help with your application.
These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.
- If you would like to study in the UK and do not meet the entry requirements for our degree programmes, we recommend that you take a Foundation Programme, which are available at our Dubai and Malaysia campuses.
- Students holding Thanawiya Amma / Secondary School leaving certificate are required to take a Foundation Pathway course. See our Foundation page for more information.
- Students taking A Levels or IB should refer to the programme pages of the prospectus where these are all listed.
- For the majority of our Masters level programmes we require a GPA of 3 out of 5 or equivalent in a relevant subject.
English language requirements
If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study.
Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.
Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status:
Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.
Scholarships and bursaries
At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.
The following scholarships are available to all international students who choose to study at Heriot-Watt:
Our representatives in Oman
We work with approved representatives in Oman who can help you apply and enrol on your chosen programme. Find your nearest representative