Student life at Heriot-Watt
We pride ourselves on being an international university; international students make up about one third of our student population.
Currently we have 22 students from Ghana enrolled on Heriot-Watt University programmes.
Six Santander Scholarships, valued at £5,000 each, are available to support students enrolling on a taught Masters programme in September 2016 at any Heriot-Watt University campus.
Previous students from Ghana have studied:
- Actuarial Science (BSc / MSc)
- Construction Project Management (BSc / MSc)
- MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- MSc Petroleum Engineering
- BSc Quantity Surveying
- Urban Studies
Our Ghanaian alumni
Our Ghanaian alumni include professionals in Ghana National Petroleum Corporation, National Communications Authority and Barclay Bank plc amongst others.
Heriot-Watt students are able to come together to learn about and celebrate African and Caribbean cultures through our African & Caribbean Society. The Society runs lots of different activities and social events throughout the year to celebrate diversity and is open to everyone.
Meet our graduates from Ghana
Nana Denkye Appiah-Nuamah
Read the graduate profile of Nana from Ghana, who studied Reservoir Evaluation and Management in the Institute of Petroleum Engineering. She graduated in 2012.
Benjamin Sakyiama Agyarko
Read the graduate profile of Benjamin from Ghana, who studied Project Management. He graduated in 2011 and is currently working with Barclays Bank of Ghana Ltd as a Project Manager.
Enyo O Megbenu
Read the graduate profile of Enyo from Ghana, who studied Real Estate Investment and Finance in the School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society. He graduated in 2010.
For more details on our application process, get help with your application.
These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.
- If you would like to study in the UK and do not meet the entry requirements for our degree programmes, we recommend that you take a Foundation Programme which are available at our Dubai and Malaysia campuses.
- Students interested in Management based courses with an average of B2 in the African WASSCE (WAEC) including English and Maths at B2 will be considered for Year 1 entry.
- Students interested in Science and Engineering programmes will need to have completed a Foundation Programme.
- If you hold an HND, an OND Upper Credit or have completed first year at a Ghanaian University with strong grades, you will be considered for direct entry to Level 2 on a case-by-case basis.
If you hold A-Levels or the International Baccalaureate, please consult our online prospectus for specific programme entry requirements.
Applicants should have a Bachelors degree with a GPA of around 3.0 in a relevant subject. Students applying from KNUST can do so with 60% or above.
English language requirements
If you do not meet our English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills needed for academic study.
Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.
Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status:
Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.
Scholarships and bursaries
At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.
The following scholarships are available to all international students who choose to study at Heriot-Watt:
- International Fee Scholarships (School of Textiles & Design)
- International Scholarships Programme (School of Engineering & Physical Sciences)
- Chevening Scholarships
Students from Ghana may also be eligible for:
Our representatives in Ghana
We work with approved representatives in Ghana who can help you apply and enrol on your chosen programme. Find your nearest representative