National flag of France

Student life at Heriot-Watt

Heriot-Watt University has been a very popular study destination for students from France for many years. We have around 140 French students studying with us, the majority of whom are studying undergraduate programmes.

We are also pleased to welcome an increasing number of students from the Grandes Ecoles (BAC+4) studying with us on the Master’s level or who study with us for one semester in our Combined Studies programme.

We have a number of long-standing partnerships with around 100 technical universities in France (IUTs), Engineering Faculties (Bretagne Sud, Le Mans, Grenoble) and Grandes Ecoles (SUPELEC, ESME-SUDRIA, ENSAM) and the POLYTECH network (TOURS, ORELANS).

Popular programmes

Previous students from France have studied:

Meet our graduates from France

Rabih El Khoury (above), graduated with an MBA from Edinburgh Business School at Heriot-Watt University.

Pierre Crespin

Read the student profile of Pierre, from France, is studying an MSc in Sustainable Building Design.

Entry requirements

These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.

For more details on our application process, get help with your application.

Please note - the number of places we are able to offer to Undergraduate students from EU countries is limited owing to the cap on places funded by the Scottish Government. As such, the entry requirements given below are minimum requirements and no guarantee of a place.

These entry requirements are intended as a guide only. Please contact us or the School's admissions tutor to find out the actual requirements for the programme you want to study.


We accept the French Baccalauréat from French students with the following grades:

  • School of Maths and Computer Science: Actuarial Science, Computer Science and Mathematics Year 1: 12-13, assez bien.
  • School of Social Sciences: Year 1: Grades 14/20. There will be a specific subject requirement for all Language Programmes and there will be a specific Maths requirement for all Economics Programmes. Psychology Year 1: Grades 14 - 15, bien, to include mathematics at 14
  • School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society:  Year 1: Overall pass with average of grade 14 (including grade 14 in Mathematics and a Science/Engineering subject for AE/CSE). Biology Year 1: Grades 14 - 15, bien, to include a science subject at 14
  • School of Textiles and Design: Year 1: Grades 12 - 13 assez bien
  • School of Engineering and Physical Sciences: Please contact the School for entry requirements.


For most of our Masters level programmes we require a good first degree, in most cases the equivalent to an Upper Second Class Honours degree from a recognised university, in a relevant subject area.

English language requirements

To study at Heriot-Watt University you must demonstrate that your English level is high enough for university study. We usually ask for the following English language grades:

English language requirements for entry to Heriot-Watt University
Study level IELTS TOEFL iBT Pearson PTE Cambridge
Undergraduate* 6.0 79-89 59 FCE

* Exceptions for undergraduate programmes: Actuarial Science: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent; Physics: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent; Textiles & Design: IELTS 6.5 or equivalent; Languages: IELTS 7.5 or equivalent.

Postgraduate** 6.5 90-99 75 CAE (grade B)

** Exceptions for postgraduate programmes: Languages: IELTS 7.5 or equivalent; Computer Science: IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.

We may also accept:

  • 10/20 in English in the DUT (for direct entry to Level 3)
  • successful completion of a period of education in English (on an international programme at your university, for example)
  • successful completion of a UK university foundation programme

If you have taken another English language test and would like to know if this can be used as proof of entrance for either your degree or one of our academic English language programmes, please contact the International Recruitment Office.

If you do not meet the English language requirements

If you do not meet the required English language requirements, you can apply to one of our academic English language programmes, which are specifically designed to prepare you with the language and study skills that are needed for academic study. If you pass the assessments on the English language programme, you will be accepted on to your degree programme without the need to take IELTS or TOEFL.

We offer 3, 6 and 12 week programmes; your academic School will be able to advise you on which programme you should take.

If you are a non-native speaker of English, we strongly recommend that you complete at least some part of our academic English programme before you start your studies, even if your English is already of a high level.

Find out more and apply for an academic English language programme now.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees are listed alongside each programme in the online prospectuses.

Tuition fees are higher for international students. If you are unsure what your residency status is, you can complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess whether you have a relevant connection to the UK that might positively influence your fee status:

Learn more about applying for student support in Scotland.

Scholarships and bursaries

At Heriot-Watt we believe that a university education is an investment in your future. That is why we offer a generous package of scholarships to encourage and support well qualified, ambitious students to come and study with us. See the full list of scholarships that you may be eligible to apply for.

Visa and immigration information

As an EEA national, there is no requirement for you to obtain a visa to come to the UK. There is the option to apply for a registration certificate to prove your right to live in the UK; however, it is not essential for you to obtain this. Further information can be found on the UKVI website.

All EEA and Swiss national students can work in the UK.For more information, please refer to our 'Working in the UK' webpage.

Key information

Brian Carson