PhD and EngD opportunities
Heriot-Watt provides an outstanding environment to undertake postgraduate research leading to a PhD or EngD. We currently hosts around 600 PhD and EngD students. First-class training in both specialist and generic skills is provided that focuses on providing the necessary support for career development.
Research projects are offered with supervisors working at the cutting edge of contemporary topics from the fundamental to the applied in all of our disciplines. Projects often involve working in research teams, with industry involvement, and many with collaborations with other leading research laboratories around the world.
- PhD and EngD
- MRes, MPhil
Research opportunities and scholarships
School, Research Institute, and Research Centre web pages provide detailed information on research and potential research project opportunities for PhD and EngD studies. We offer a number of competitive funded scholarships for research degree studies. Full or partial support may be available for well qualified candidates from UK research councils, research pools, charities, industry or the university's own scholarships.
The University offers annual James Watt Scholarships, approximately 80 each year, for well-qualified applicants. Other competitive funding is available such as RCUK funded Doctoral Training Awards.
- PhD opportunities in Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society
- PhD opportunities in Engineering and Physical Sciences
- PhD opportunities in Social Sciences
- PhD opportunities in Mathematical and Computer sciences
- PhD opportunities in Textiles and Design
- PhD opportunities at our Dubai Campus
- Postgraduate research - prospectus
Inter-university doctoral training centre schemes
Heriot-Watt participates in a number of inter-university doctoral training centre schemes:
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Applied Photonics
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Critical Resource Catalysis (CRITICAT)
- Scottish Doctoral Training Centre in Condensed Matter Physics (EPSRC)
- Scottish Graduate School of Social Sciences (ESRC)
- Continuous Manufacturing and Crystallisation (EPSRC/Heriot-Watt/Industry)
- ETP Energy Industry Doctorate Programme (SFC/Heriot-Watt/Industry)
- Scottish Universities Physics Alliance Prize Studentships (SFC/Heriot-Watt)
- Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance Prize Studentships (SFC/Heriot-Watt)
- Marine Alliance for Science and Technology for Scotland Prize Studentships (SFC/Heriot-Watt)
- Robotics and Autonomous Systems (Heriot-Watt/UoE)
- Embedded Intelligence (Heriot-Watt/Loughborough)
- Maxwell Institute Graduate School in Analysis and its Applications (MIGSAA) (Heriot-Watt and UoE)
- Centre for Doctoral Training in Oil and Gas (NERC)
Research Futures provides postgraduate research students with a full programme of training and development throughout their PhD, EngD or MPhil studies. The main programme is delivered at the Edinburgh Campus and contains a wide range of courses pitched at various levels of expertise. Course sessions are typically delivered in three hour sessions facilitated by experts.
Heriot-Watt University is a member of Vitae, an international organisation dedicated to world-class professional and career development of researchers. Vitae offer a wealth of resources and advice designed specifically for researchers.