Industrial Action FAQs for students


You will be aware that the University and College Union (UCU), recently announced that it intends to take industrial action in a dispute over changes to the Universities' pension scheme (USS) and pay.

General questions related to the industrial action and how it might impact on your studies can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions. These FAQs will be regularly updated to ensure that they provide you with the most recent information we have.

Please remember to check myHWU regularly for updates.

COVID-19 help and advice

The University is monitoring the coronavirus COVID-19 guidance and acting on the latest official health and travel advice relevant to each campus in the UK, Dubai and Malaysia.

If you have any of the following symptoms you should book a test online or call 0800 028 2816 if unable to access the online service:

  • a new continuous cough
  • fever/high temperature
  • loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste.

If you are a student or member of staff and have any concerns about symptoms or interaction with others please contact SafeGuarding through the SafeZone app or on 0131 451 3500.

More information can be found on our dedicated help site.