Leaders in ideas and solutions
Our heritage dates back to 1821 since when our community of scholars has been developing transformational solutions to specific global problems. Today we are a leading university with campuses in the UK, Dubai and Malaysia, connected around the world by a strong, successful, international community.
Our global community
- We have five campuses across the world: Edinburgh, Scottish Borders, Orkney, Dubai and Malaysia, as well as 53 Approved Learning Partners (ALPs) and educational collaborative partners in 150 countries
We have over 30,000 students studying with us at our campuses and online through distance learning (year end 2016)
- This includes over 9,000 at our Scottish campuses, almost 4,000 at our Dubai campus and 1,200 at our Malaysia campus
- We have almost 16,000 students studying through one of our partnerships or via Independent Distance Learning
- We employ over 2,000 staff across all our campuses
- One third of our on-campus students studying in Scotland are from outside the UK, making Heriot-Watt one of the most internationally diversified of any UK university.
A rich heritage
- Heriot‑Watt University is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the UK
- Heriot‑Watt became a University in 1966 but our origins date back to 1821 as the world's first mechanics institute
- The Watt Club is oldest graduate club in the UK
- We have over 116,000 alumni worldwide in over 190 countries.
A research-led institution
- The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 ranked Heriot-Watt 22nd in the UK, with 82% of our research as world-leading or internationally excellent
- We are 9th in the UK and 1st in Scotland for research impact
- Over 80% of our academic staff are currently engaged in research at internationally recognised levels.
We are in the top 4% of universities globally, based on approximately 10,000 universities in the world (QS World's University Rankings 2016/17)
- The National Student Survey 2016 placed us 28th in the UK and joint 3rd in Scotland, with 90% of students were satisfied overall with their course in over half of the University’s subject areas
Top 20 in the UK and 4th in Scotland in the Guardian University League Table 2017
We are 39th in the world and 13th in the UK for our international outlook based on THE World University Rankings 2016/17
95% of graduates are in employment or further study within six months of graduation.