Leaders in ideas and solutions
Our heritage dates back to 1821 since when our community of scholars has been developing transformational solutions to specific global problems. We are specialists in engineering, business and science and leaders in innovative global education for a future world.
We are global
- We have five campuses across the world: Edinburgh, Scottish Borders, Orkney, Dubai and Malaysia, as well as 53 Approved Learning Partners (ALPs) and educational collaborative partners in 150 countries
- We have over 29,000 students studying with us at our campuses and online through distance learning (year end 2017)
- One third of our on-campus students studying in Scotland are from outside the UK, making Heriot-Watt one of the most internationally diversified of any UK university
We are connected
- The Watt Club is oldest graduate club in the UK
- We have over 130,000 alumni worldwide in over 190 countries
- We are the university of choice for business and industry and our graduates are sought by the best organisations worldwide
We are experts and leaders
- The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 ranked Heriot-Watt 22nd in the UK, with 82% of our research as world-leading or internationally excellent
- We are 9th in the UK and 1st in Scotland for research impact
- Over 80% of our academic staff are currently engaged in research at internationally recognised levels
- We are ranked 302nd in the world in the 2019 QS World University Ranking
- At least 90% of students were satisfied overall with their course in 11 of our 23 subject areas in the National Student Survey 2018.
- We are 37th in the world, 13th in the UK and 3rd in Scotland for our international outlook based on THE World University Rankings 2019.
- 8th in Scotland in the Guardian University Guide 2020
- 95% of graduates are in employment or further study within six months of graduation