Heriot-Watt University needs to obtain and process certain information about our students to allow us to register students and organise programmes, and to carry out other essential university activities.
The information we collect is used fairly, stored safely and not disclosed to any other person unlawfully. To do this, we comply with the Data Protection Principles that are set out in the Data Protection Act 1998.
In summary, these state that personal data shall:
- be obtained and processed fairly and lawfully and shall not be processed unless certain conditions are met
- be obtained for a specified and lawful purpose and shall not be processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose
- be adequate, relevant and not excessive for those purposes
- be accurate and kept up to date
- not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose
- be processed in accordance with the data subject's rights
- be kept safe from unauthorised access, accidental loss or destruction
- not be transferred to a country outside the European Economic Area, unless that country has equivalent levels of protection for personal data.
Data Protection Policy
The University and all staff or others who process or use any personal information must ensure that they follow these principles at all times. In order to ensure that this happens, the University has developed a Data Protection Policy.
If you have any questions about our Data Protection procedures, please contact our FOI & Data Protection Officer.
Visitors to our websites
We collect this information in a way that does not identify anyone. We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any personally identifying information from any source.
If we do want to collect personally identifiable information through our website, we will be up front about this. We will make it clear when we collect personal information and will explain what we intend to do with it. Please see detailed information about the cookies we use.