Heriot-Watt Widening Access Bursary (Scotland)
- Heriot-Watt Widening Access Bursary (Scotland)
- Approximately 50 each year
- Scottish students
The Heriot-Watt Access Bursary provides students from widening participation backgrounds who are joining us in September 2023, with extra financial support to help towards living costs.
- Entry date
- September 2023
New Scottish students, starting in September 2023, from widening participation backgrounds can apply. We use the definitions provided in our Fair Access Policy to help identify eligible students. Approximately 50 awards of £1000 per year are available. You should be holding either a conditional or unconditional offer from us.
Applicants must meet at least one of the following criteria. You can find more information on what these criteria mean on our widening participation pages:
- Students from a priority postcode - see our ‘coming from school’ pages
- Students from a low progression school that is part of the Scottish government’s Schools for Higher Education Programme (SHEP) – see our ‘coming from school’ page-
- eg Aspire North, Focus West, LEAPS, Lift Off
- Students who are part of the LEAPS programme but not in a SHEP school
- Scottish college students who are going into year two or year three of a University degree from an HNC or HND course.
- Students who are part of our Associate Student Scheme at either the Edinburgh or Scottish Borders campuses.
- Mature students who have studied on a SWAP programme (Scottish Wider Access Programme)
- UK students with care experience, including those who have been in residential care, foster care, kinship care or looked after at home with a supervision requirement
- Students who care, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support
- Students who are estranged, meaning that they no longer have the support of their family due to a breakdown in their relationship which has resulted in no further contact.
Deadline for applications
This bursary will open again in June and be accepting applications throughout the summer. The final deadline for applications is Sunday 20th August at 11.00pm.
Note - this bursary is for new students who will be joining Heriot-Watt in September 2023 only. Current students who are already enrolled are not eligible to apply.