Self study/online learning
See Skills4StudyCampus in Study Support.
Skills for Success
Skills for Success has been written to support undergraduate students at Heriot-Watt University and to help you develop key skills in information, IT and effective study. It is not programme specific - and students on all campuses, studying full time, part time or by distance learning may find the content useful.
The material can help you:
- Find high quality academic sources for your assignments - and use them appropriately in your coursework and assignments.
- Use desktop software to prepare and present your work.
- Develop good study and organisation skills.
New students are enrolled on Skills for Success automatically.
If you haven't been enrolled you can self-enrol on Skills for Success in Vision - watch a screen cast or follow steps 1 – 5 below.
- Log in to Vision
- Select the Organisations tab
- Search for Skills for Success
- Click the drop-down arrow under the Organisation ID, next to VIIASS
- Click Enrol, then click Submit, and finally click OK
Skills for Success will be available in the My Organisations module.
Power Hour workshops
Support materials for most of our Power Hour workshops is available in Vision - in the Power Hours Workshops organisation. Look in the My Organisations module: -
- Log into Vision
- Choose Power Hours Workshops from the My Organisations module, or from the Organisations tab
- Explore the content
Specialist information in your subject area prepared for you by your Academic Support and Liaison Librarian. See the Subject guides page.
Maths and statistics help
See Maths & statistics help in Study Support.
Microsoft IT Academy (HWU staff only)
As part of our arrangements with Microsoft, Heriot-Watt employees are eligible to access the Microsoft IT Academy. These online courses are provided to help you keep up-to-date with the latest major software releases—and you’ll find lots to choose from including many for Office 365, Office 2010, 2013 and 2016 - and much more.
You will require a Windows Live account for access.
- Go to https://onlinelearning.microsoft.com
- Sign in
- Select your course(s) from the catologue
- Keeps tabs on your achievements
- Print your certificate
Full instructions and access details available in SharePoint.