The story of Heriot-Watt
Since our foundation in 1821, we have been outward looking pioneers of education in pursuit of knowledge to benefit the society and the world.
Edinburgh School of Arts, the world's first Mechanics Institute, founded by Leonard Horner and Robert Bryson in Niddry Street.
Watt Institution and School of Arts obtained a new site in Chambers Street, and the foundation stone was laid.
Mary Burton becomes the first woman on the School's Board of Directors and a Life Governor of Heriot-Watt College.
George Heriot's Trust's investments support the Watt Institution and School of Arts, and so created Heriot-Watt College.
The College becomes a Central Institution, teaching to degree standard with the Associates of Heriot-Watt College award.
Heriot-Watt's links with industry enter a new era as it establishes the first University Research Park in Europe.
The Dubai Campus was founded. The University was the first to set up in the new Dubai International Academic City.
Heriot-Watt University opens its fifth Campus in Putrajaya, Malaysia, only 25km from Kuala Lampur