Postgraduate FAQs

We have complied a list of frequently asked questions to help with any queries about coming to Edinburgh or Orkney to study a postgraduate programme with the School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society (EGIS).

If you still have questions that are not covered below, simply contact us at:

Is there a deadline for submitting an application?

Applications for 2019 entry are recommended to be submitted by early August to ensure you can join us for the start of Welcome Week on 9 September 2019. If you will require a visa to live and study in the UK, your application should be submitted by the end of June 2019 to allow plenty of time for us to issue your CAS letter and for you to make your visa application.

When does the programme begin?

Enrolment for all programmes within EGIS will take place during Welcome Week beginning on Monday 9 September 2019. This is when students will meet with staff and peers and will formally enrol onto their programme. Teaching will begin on Monday 16 September 2019. Term dates for 2019/20 are available.

How do I pay for my programme?

All information on how to pay for your programme can be found on our payment information section of our website.

When do I have to make payment of the advanced instalment of fees?

We suggest you pay the advanced instalment when you are 100% sure you will be taking up your place and have met all other conditions. The advanced instalment is non-refundable and will only be considered for a refund if the applicant’s visa application is unsuccessful.

Do you offer scholarships?

The university offers several scholarships. Please visit our scholarships and bursaries webpage for the most up to date information on internal and externally offered scholarships. Please note you must have an offer to study with us before you can apply for a scholarship.

When will I receive my student ID card?

When you complete your enrolment you will be asked to upload a photograph. Our Student Service Centre will then produce your student ID card. Find more information about when and how to enrol on our Enrolment webpage.

How do I apply for on-campus accommodation?

You can apply for on-campus accommodation at our Edinburgh campus online between April 2019 and mid August 2019 ) providing you have an Unconditional Firm offer of a place to study at Heriot-Watt. Due to the popularity of living on campus we recommend you submit your application as early as possible. If you are applying to our Orkney campus, please look at their accommodation information.

When and where do graduation ceremonies take place?

Heriot-Watt University holds graduation ceremonies twice a year at our Edinburgh campus. Most postgraduate students will graduate during the November ceremonies however we also have a ceremony in June that you can choose to graduate at. All Orkney campus students will be invited to attend the ceremonies in Edinburgh. Students also have the option to graduate in absentia meaning not attend a ceremony but receive your degree certificate by post.

What English Language requirements do I need?

If English is not your first language we will need evidence of your English language ability dated within the last two years. The university requires students to have at least IELTS level 6.5 (with no section lower than 6) or equivalent for entry onto our programmes. Find out more about our English language requirements.

Can I study English at Heriot-Watt University?

Heriot-Watt offers pre-sessional English programmes that are designed to prepare you for your university studies. You can find further information and entry requirements.

When do I get my CAS letter?

If you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, the School of EGIS will provide you with a CAS letter to support your application from June onwards to eligible applicants. CAS letters can only be provided when your offer is unconditional and has been accepted. We recommend that you obtain an unconditional offer and start your visa application as soon as possible to avoid delays in the busy August/September period. Information on visa application can be found on our International Student Advisors’ webpage.