Our Global Student Advisors are here to help you with any aspect of applying for a student visa or your queries around student immigration.
On these pages you will find detailed information on applying for a variety of visas and help with visa and passport issues.
Please find below guidance relating to UKVI rule changes specific to your programme level, as well as UKVI rule changes applicable to all.
UKVI Changes from 10 January 2019
From 10 January, students with Tier 4 immigration permission (leave) to study a part-time postgraduate course will be able to apply to extend their Tier 4 leave in the UK to continue studying on a part-time or on a full-time basis. This means that people studying part time for a doctorate will be able to apply under the Doctorate Extension Scheme
The maintenance requirements are reworded but remain the same; changes make clear that money from a loan does not have to be available to you on the date of application and that you need not have held funds from a loan or from an official financial sponsor for a 28-day period before you apply
UKVI Changes from 29 November 2018
- From 29 November, students making Tier 4 (General), PBS Dependant, or Replacement BRP applications within the UK will be submitted using the new process.
- The new process will involve booking an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Service (UKVCAS) centre (closest one to Heriot Watt University is Glasgow). During this appointment biometrics will be taken and supporting documents will be uploaded. Applicants will pay both the application fee, and biometric enrolment fee in one payment.
- When using the new process, Added Value Services will be available at an additional charge. This will include Next Day and Walk-In Appointments, Document Checking (to ensure documents are uploaded correctly), Interpretation, and Document Translation services.
- Students and dependants applying for a Tier 4 (General) visa within the UK are no longer required to provide passport photographs with their application.
- Students and dependants applying for a Tier 4 (General) visa are no longer required to provide original documentation with their application, scanned copies will be acceptable (with the exception of passports), however documents must still be in the correct format.
- The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) fee has increased to £300 per academic year for both Tier 4 students and Dependents.
UKVI Changes from 06 July 2018
- ATAS will now be required for courses, or periods of study that are less than 6 months - this will include those studying on a Short Term Study visa.
- Students that are nationals of Bahrain, Cambodia, China, The Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Kuwait, The Maldives, Mexico, Serbia, Thailand, Macau SAR have been added to Appendix H of the immigration rules and are therefore eligible to apply for Tier 4 with different documentary requirements.
- Oman has been removed from Appendix H of the immigration rules and will no longer benefit from different documentary requirements.
- When applying outside the UK, all students under Appenidx H will no longer be restricted to applying for Tier 4 visas from their country of nationality.
- Dependants of Tier 4 students who are studying at a higher education institution at postgraduate level will now be eligible to apply if the course is at least 9 months long (currently 12 months).
UKVI Changes 11 January 2018
- Students can now extend their visa from inside the UK if they need to extend the visa in order to undertake a study abroad programme or work placement or have previously done so (conditions apply).
- Further guidance regarding calculating the maintenance requirement for Tier 4 Dependants has been included. Please refer to Tier 4 Dependants guidance.
- Students on Short Term Study visas must leave the UK within 30 days of their course ending.
- Students on Distance Learning programmes are still eligible to apply for Short Term Study visas, however periods of stay are limited to 56 days in any six month period.