Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4435 8700
The programme provides a thorough grounding in the subject of architecture, including a portfolio of design, technical and theoretical courses covering all aspects of architectural theory and practice. The course has been designed with reference to the RIBA criteria, providing students with a well-rounded and internationally respected curriculum. Students will work across technical and humanities disciplines, testing the knowledge and skills from these courses through a series of core design projects taught in a studio environment (approx 50% of courses). The course provides students with the key analytical and practical skills and knowledge required to attain the RIBA Part 1 level, the first step towards formal Chartership as an architect (course accreditation pending).
After graduation, students are equipped to work for consultants, contractors or government at Architectural Assistant level, and/or apply for an RIBA Part 2 level postgraduate course at international universities.
The core curriculum includes instruction in all main subject areas, providing a grounding in architectural design history and theory as well as technical instruction and application. Students will be required to produce a varied portfolio of drawn, modelled (CAD and physical), written and examined work. There is an emphasis throughout on the personal development of students within a professional environment.
Why study Architecture at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Heriot-Watt University has a wealth of specialist expertise in the built environment and is internationally recognised as one of only four Centres of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design.
- The course is based on the internationally renowned RIBA Part 1 level.
- The course covers both technical and theoretical aspects, providing an excellent foundation for future practice or study at postgraduate level, including RIBA Part 2.
- The combination of lectures and studio delivery encourages excellent self-motivation and the development of transferable skills that are valuable across the built environment industry.
- Our programme is designed to help shape the built environment for the 21st century, not only in terms of architecture but also to support a sustainable, energy-efficient and green society.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
Our BA (Hons) Architecture is a ‘candidate course’ validated by the RIBA at RIBA Part 1 level. Full validation is anticipated in 2020 when our first full cohort of students will graduate.