Textiles and Design
The history of the School began in 1883, with classes in weaving, dyeing and chemistry which were introduced under the direction of Thomas Welsh. In 1889, it was named, The Galashiels Combined Technical School. The governing body consisted of representatives from, Burgh School Board, Engineering and Building Trades and The Galashiels Manufacturing Corporation, who we still work closely with to this day/
In 1909 the School became the South of Scotland Central Technical College, early years of the School being described as ‘A phase in the rise of the Scotch Tweed Technique’ by Thomas Oliver 1911, the first principle who had served as a teacher at the Galashiels Combined Technical School since 1898.