Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4435 8700
The programme covers the main civil engineering disciplines of Structures, Geotechnics, Water Engineering and Transportation Engineering, and provides students with the key analytical and practical skills and knowledge required to become chartered civil or structural engineers. After graduation, students are equipped to work for consultants, contractors or government at senior management level.
The core curriculum includes instruction in all main subject areas, concentrating on analysis and materials behaviour with an increasing focus on design and management in the specialisation years. Throughout, there is an emphasis on the personal development of students within a professional environment.
Why study Civil Engineering at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- The first and only programme in the Gulf region to offer a UK Civil Engineering degree.
- The first and only civil engineering programme in the Gulf region to be accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT), and the Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE).
- Gives you engineering skills to create landmark civil engineering structures – the transformation of ideas into reality.
- Our programme is designed to help shape the built environment for the 21st century, not only in terms of civil engineering but also to support a sustainable, energy efficient and green society.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
This degree is accredited as partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng). In common with other BEng accredited degrees, a programme of accredited Further Learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng.
Accreditation is a mark of assurance that the degree meets the standards set by the Engineering Council in the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC). An accredited degree will provide you with some or all of the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills for eventual registration as an Incorporated (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng). Some employers recruit preferentially from accredited degrees, and an accredited degree is likely to be recognised by other countries that are signatories to international accords.
Course contentDetailed course guide
Note that the programme structure below is provided to illustrate the distribution of teaching and is subject to developmental change.
- Mechanics A
- Civil Engineering Applications 1
- Construction Technology 1
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 1
- Mechanics B
- Introduction to Materials
- Introduction to Engineering Design
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 2
Students take part in site visits to a range of construction sites
- Analysis of Determinate Structures
- Hydraulics and Hydrology A
- Surveying and Monitoring in the Built and Natural Environment
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 3
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Stress Analysis and Element Strength
- Design Studies A - Problem Solving
- Statistics for Science
- Design of Steel Elements
- Transportation Engineering A
- Indeterminate Structures
- Geology and Soil Properties
- Hydraulics and Hydrology B
- Geotechnics A - Introduction to Soil Mechanics
- Design of Concrete Elements
- Environmental Engineering A
- Dissertation 1 Civil Engineering Discipline
- Geotechnics B - Soil Strength
- Transportation Engineering B
- Structural Element Design
- Dissertation 1 Civil Engineering Discipline
- Civil Engineering Design Project
- Foundation Engineering
- Analysis of Indeterminate Structures
Graduates from the Civil Engineering programme can expect to find jobs in multinational civil and structural engineering companies, government organisations and small to mediumsized private sector firms (building, civil and structural engineering).
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, kindly call +971 4 4358700 or please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
- AED 63000 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.