Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4435 8700
Accountancy has often been described as the language of business, and it has long been recognised that an understanding of accounting and finance is an essential prerequisite for those who intend to pursue a career in commerce, industry or public administration. The increasingly complex environment within which both financial and international business is conducted and the development and spread of computerised techniques continue to reinforce the need for such an understanding.
The value of such studies is also recognised by professional accountancy and allied societies, which offer, to approved graduates, substantial examination exemptions and reduced periods of pre-qualifying service. Our Accountancy and Finance programme is a specialist degree particularly well suited to those seeking entry into the accountancy profession and careers in financial services or financial management.
It aims to encourage the development of cognitive skills so that students learn to apply their new knowledge and understanding as they progress, and become versed in the deeper approach to learning, using powers of analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
Why study Accountancy and Finance at Heriot-Watt University in Dubai?
- High quality British degree programme
- Gain a relevant degree that is recognised by professional bodies and matches industry needs
- Develop and enhance your skills
- Further your career prospects.
As our flagship accounting degree, this accountancy and finance programme is accredited by a number of institutions for exemptions from some professional examinations:
- Accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) for the purpose of exemptions from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the Association of International Accountants (AIA) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations through the Accredited degree accelerated route.
- Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (ICAEW) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland (ICAS) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the CPA Australia for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
Course contentDetailed course guide
Students will follow introductory courses in four key subject themes of Accountancy and Finance, Economics and Management.
Students will begin to broaden their study. Accountancy subjects include Financial Reporting and Management Accounting. Finance subjects include Finance Theory and Markets and Corporate Financial Theory. Commercial Law, Business Entities and Quantitative Methods are also available.
Students undertake accounting studies in Auditing and Advanced Management Accounting. Finance subjects include Corporate Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions, Security Markets and Advanced Financial Accounting. Research Methods is also taught.
The final year provides an opportunity for specialisation, with studies in Accountancy Theory, International Accounting, Corporate Reporting and Corporate Governance. Students must also undertake a dissertation in an area of particular interest to them.
Students have the option to transfer to the Edinburgh Campus to study for their Honours year.
When studying Accountancy and Finance, you can expect career opportunities in the following roles: operations research analyst, auditor, accounting clerk, risk analyst, financial accountant, management accountant, export manager, business analyst, business operations manager, logistics manager, business interpreter, project manager and contracts manager.
Our normal entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available. Similarly, students who are eligible to be admitted into the Advanced DEP programme can choose to join the DEP programme instead.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCD (or BBBB at AS-Level)
- CBSE or equivalent 65%
- American High School Diploma + SAT 1s - 1000
- UAE Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Management) with a BBBB.
- African WAEC / NECO / WASSCE B2
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
Second year entry
- GCE A-Level CCC in relevant business subjects
- International Baccalaureate 24 points
- CBSE 75%
- American High School 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 OR Minimum 3 SAT 2’s 500 each
- Higher National Diploma (HND) PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma DDD
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 85%
- Students with an HND, an OND Upper Credit or have completed first year at a Nigerian University with strong grades, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, kindly call +971 4 4358700 or please send an email to email@example.com
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
- AED 56700 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.