Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4435 8700
Logistics is the term widely used in business to describe the range of activities associated with the movement, storage and handling of materials. The discipline has been revolutionised over the years and has come to be regarded as a key determinant of business competitiveness. Companies have substantially improved their performance not only by overhauling their internal logistics, but also by managing their supply chain more effectively. These developments have created a sustained demand for well qualified logistics and supply chain managers throughout many sectors.
The Dubai Government recognises the economic importance of logistics, not only locally but to the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region and beyond. Recent industry reports have highlighted the fact that the UAE is a major global logistics hub, with an estimated one third of the world’s logistics activity passing through the region.
Our MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management programme examines current practices, trends and issues in these two disciplines. Students study the management philosophies, decision-making processes and analytical techniques used by logistics professionals. The programme provides students with both specialist knowledge of logistics and supply chain management and a basic training in related business disciplines.
For students who already hold a good qualifying degree, the programme aims to provide:
- A broad-based introduction to logistics management teamed with an awareness of the integrated role of logistics in organisations.
- The skills necessary to manage logistical and supply chain processes.
- Access to current practice as presented by leading practitioners.
- An awareness of the interrelationship between logistics and the environment.
- Insights into future trends in logistics and the supply chain.
This programme is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS).
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
Course contentDetailed course guide
- Strategies for Managing Supply Chains
- Global Purchasing and Supply
- Freight Transport and Warehouse Management
- Supply Chain Risk and Adaptation
- Demand and Inventory Planning
- Supply Network Design and Optimisation
- Green Logistics
- Research Philosophy and Practice
A dissertation on a related topic is completed over the summer months.
Graduates from this degree should be able to:
- Understand and apply the processes which define logistics and supply chain management.
- Make and evaluate strategic and tactical decisions.
- Employ a range of analytical techniques to solve logistical problems.
- Communicate theory, concepts and practice effectively.
- Understand how to add value within an organisation through their strategic interaction with managers of related business functions.
For MSc entry, a good relevant Honours degree (first or second class) or equivalent overseas qualifications will be considered. Given the clear practical element of the programmes, we will also consider non-graduate candidates holding less than a good Honours degree, or its equivalent, but with compensating qualifications or experience may be admitted to the Postgraduate Diploma programme. Transfer to the MSc will be possible later on if exams and course work are at MSc level.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, kindly call +971 4 4358700 or please send an email to email@example.com
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5 (with all elements passed at 6.0 or above). Applicants who have completed secondary and tertiary education will need to provide documentary evidence. A minimum of one year full-time study in English will be required.
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.