Mobility difficulties

Our support for students with mobility difficulties is based on an individual's needs. We aim to organise the support you require in advance of you attending the University, so it is vital that you contact the Disability Service or Student Advisor as soon as possible.

If you require a particular type of assistive equipment or specific personal help, our Disability Advisors or Student Advisors, along with relevant members of staff, will make arrangements to meet your needs based on an assessment of your individual and unique circumstances. We may do this in conjunction with Social Work staff or with Occupational Therapists as appropriate.

Examples of support

  • Orientation around campus prior to start of programme
  • Arranging non-medical support worker assistance
  • Liaising with University Departments to arrange accessible teaching and exam venues
  • Referral for University disabled parking permits for non-Blue badge holders
  • Development of a Personal Care Plan (PCP) if you will need assistance with evacuation in the event of an emergency
  • SafeZone is a free app for students which connects you to the University Safeguarding team if you ever need urgent help, first aid or if you have an emergency whilst on campus
  • AccessAble provides detailed information on the accessibility of university buildings
  • Exam and coursework adjustments
  • Specialised equipment/ergonomic aids
  • Assistive software and training
  • Library assistance
  • Arranging Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) (Eligible UK Students only)

Disabled Students Allowance

Available to UK-domiciled students only.

This is additional funding which may be available to meet any additional study-related costs that a student may incur because of their disability. If you require any funded support, we will arrange another appointment to have your needs assessed for funding through DSA. Further information on DSA can be found on our website.

Assistive technology

Assistive technology is any device or software that can help you overcome barriers caused by your disability or learning difficulty.

There is additional information regarding assistive software on our website, including links to videos, guides and downloadable demos, as well as self-training material that you may wish to look at.

Access to Campus buildings

Most of the buildings on our campuses are accessible. Please speak to your Disability Service or Student Advisor if you require additional information about access throughout our buildings.

Residential accommodation

Residential accommodation on our campuses have been built specifically to meet the needs of disabled people and a number of rooms are available for allocation to students with disabilities. There is more information available on our webpages regarding accommodation on the Edinburgh, Scottish Borders, Dubai, and Malaysia campuses.

Personal Care Plans (PCPs)

Any student, based on any campus, with a complex disability, can be provided with a Personal Care Plan or PCP. This is an individual evacuation tailored to your specific needs and provides information on what to do during an evacuation.

For further information, visit the Health and Safety Services webpages.


SafeZone is a free app-based system for students and staff that enhances their personal safety. SafeZone extends the reach of campus safety and security, to cater for the real time needs of the people who use campus every day. It provides a quick and easy way for users to alert security services, when help or assistance is needed.

You can find more health and safety advice and support on our SafeGuarding pages or by contacting or calling 0131 451 3900.

Key information

Disability Service

+44 (0) 131 451 3386