Do you have concerns about a student?

What should I do if I have concerns or I am worried about a student studying at Heriot-Watt University?

If you have any concerns about a student who is studying at Heriot Watt University you can share these with us by emailing or calling 0131 451 3386. The Student Wellbeing Centre is open Monday- Friday between 09.30-16.00. Out of hours you can contact our Safeguarding Services by calling 0131 451 3500.

Any information you share with us will be dealt with sensitively. It is helpful if you can provide us with as much information as possible such as their name, when you last spoke with the individual and the reasons why you are concerned. Due to confidentiality reasons we cannot share any information about the individual with you. However, we promise to listen to you and use the information you share with us to decide the best course of action. For example, this might involve us making contact with the individual to offer an appointment, if they are living on campus we can check in on them or it might be offering you guidance on how you might deal with the situation.

If you are in contact with the student you can encourage them to get in touch with us and make them aware that we have a daily drop in between 2-3pm Monday-Friday where they will be able to speak with a member of staff from the Student Wellbeing team. Students can seek support on any issue they are experiencing and we will always do our best to help the individual find a solution that works best for them. You can find out about the full range of support offered through Student Wellbeing Services.