Scottish Borders Campus
In line with the Scottish Government’s commitment to provide access to free sanitary products, Heriot Watt University makes available a wide range of products to students and staff. We are committed to supporting equality, dignity and rights for all those who menstruate and ensure that there is no impact on an individual’s ability to fully participate in education at all levels.
Consultation and feedback from the student union and service users has been used to determine what provision of free period products was best suited to the needs of our community. The results were used to inform both the range of period products to be made available and how products would be distributed.
Following consultation with the student community it was clear that a wide range of period products was needed to meet different needs and preferences. The specific brands of product offered are determined by availability and value via procurement frameworks and product feedback from the student community. Our free sanitary products are available in various locations across all of our campus locations and working closely with our Students' Union we will ensure:
- A free of charge range of products
- Access to re-usable and sustainable options
- Availability within toilet facilities and student support facilities
- Provision with dignity and respect
- Communication and information on our student portal
- Equality for all, reducing negative stigma across our University community
In addition to having stock in toilet facilities across our campus locations in Edinburgh, Galashiels and Orkney, period products can also be collected from the following locations:
- Student Union Advice Hub in the Hugh Nisbet, Edinburgh Campus
- Residence Life Hub – Cristina Miller West, Edinburgh Campus
- Jean Muir Student Village, Galashiels Campus
Period Products (Free Provision) (Scotland) Act 2021: guidance