- Course code
- KPT/JPS (N/521/6/0092)(PA5108) 11/19
- Delivery type
- 4 years
- Intake date
- September, January
We have an international research reputation and close connection with the professional and industrial world of science, engineering and technology.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Campus
+603 8894 3888
Modern society needs high-quality Mechanical Engineering graduates for their professional mechanical engineering skills and expertise. Heriot-Watt University is proud that our graduates are constantly in demand for these skills.
Mechanical Engineers play key roles in all industrial sectors ranging from aerospace, oil and gas, through food and transport to manufacturing, chemical and entertainment industries. Mechanical Engineering offers an exciting environment where many skills are brought together to create innovative products and the infrastructure and technology for manufacture.
This Bachelor's degree aims to produce graduate Engineers who are able to meet society’s needs by the creation of products or processes that benefit the individual or economy. Many of the courses contextualise mechanical engineering science principles with mini-projects and students will work in groups to produce a solution to an engineering problem.
The core courses of Design and Manufacture and Business Awareness, Safety and Sustainability are particularly aimed at bringing knowledge from all engineering science disciplines together in a project. The individual project in year three allows students to become specialists in an area of their choice by working with an academic member of staff on a particular niche area of Mechanical Engineering.
MEng Mechanical Engineering progression
BEng Mechanical Engineering students who meet the progression requirements for this MEng programme may transfer programmes at the end of Year 2.
Teaching and Assessment
Teaching methods range from lectures, tutorial classes and mentor sessions, to workshop and laboratory activities supported by group and individual projects. Assessment is by examination, coursework, presentations, group project and individual project.
Our degrees are offered as 3 year BEng (Bachelor of Engineering) or 4 year MEng (Master of Engineering) qualifications. Our MEng qualification is designed to satisfy the academic requirements set by the Engineering Council UK for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.
Chartered Engineers enjoy excellent prospects, enhanced employability and high salaries. If you prefer to graduate with a BEng after 3 years of study your degree will provide partial fulfilment of the necessary academic requirements for Chartered Engineer status.
For registration by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) this four year undergraduate MEng programme is required plus a summer industrial placement.
View or download full details of core, optional and elective courses/projects.
- Design and Manufacture 2
- Electric Circuits and Machines
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 3
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 4
- Mechanical Engineering Science 3
- Mechanical Engineering Science 4
- Mechanical Engineering Science 5
- Mechanical Engineering Science 6
BEng students who meet the progression requirements for the MEng programme may transfer programmes at the end of Year 2.
- Business Awareness, Safety and Sustainability
- Design and Manufacture 3
- Design and Manufacture 4
- Mechanical Engineering Science 10
- Mechanical Engineering Science 7
- Mechanical Engineering Science 8
- Mechanical Engineering Science 9
- Engineering Design
- Engineering Manufacture
- Group Project 1
- Industrial Training
Students undertake a compulsory industrial training placement.
- Failure Accident Analysis
- Group Project 2
- Group Project 3
- Professional and Industrial Studies
- Specialist Engineering Technologies 1
- Specialist Engineering Technologies 2
Graduates are in constant demand. Many engineers make their careers in established areas, perhaps in the infrastructure industries of energy and transportation or the design and manufacture of advanced equipment. Others find rewarding careers meeting the challenges of applying new materials and intelligent systems to products and manufacturing processes.
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Science: CCCC
- A-Level/STPM: BBC including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- SAM: ATAR 75 including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- CPU: 75% including B in Mathematics and Physics.
- UEC: 3A 2B (A in Mathematics and Physics).
- SMA 3: 8.0 in Mathematics and Physics.
- IB Diploma: Minimum 5 in SL Mathematics and Physics.
- Diploma deemed recognised by the Malaysian Government, acceptable to the University.
- Any other relevant qualification deemed recognised by the Malaysian Government.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, then evidence of proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 is required.
If you do not have IELTS 6.0, we offer a Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSEP) prior to commencing your studies.