Where we rank
Heriot-Watt University is consistently ranked at a high level across a number of key university league tables.
From our research performance to student satisfaction, graduate employability and the quality of our teaching, Heriot-Watt's status as a world-class university is independently confirmed.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings use 13 performance indicators to examine universities across all of their core missions – teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
- Ranked in the top 350 universities worldwide (301-350).
- Heriot-Watt is ranked 37th in the world, 13th in the UK and 3rd in Scotland for our international outlook, a score based on the percentage of the university's international staff, the level of international co-authorship of academic papers and the percentage of international students studying with the University.
View the Times Higher Education World University Rankings
Times Higher Education 'Table of Tables'
THE's 'Table of Tables' is the combined results of the three main UK university league tables - the Good University Guide (published by The Times and The Sunday Times), The Guardian and The Complete University Guide.
- In the Table of Tables 2015: Heriot-Watt is placed 27th in the UK and 3rd in Scotland
View the Times Higher Education Table of Tables
Times Higher Education Golden Age Rankings 2018
THE's Golden Age University Rankings measures universities established between 1945 and 1967 for their teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income.
- Heriot-Watt is ranked 55th out of 200 institutions, from 44 countries.
View the Times Higher Education Golden Age Rankings
Guardian University Guide 2019
View the Guardian University league table
- Ranked 66th in the UK and 8th in Scotland.
- 8th in the UK for Improvements in Spend per Student.
- Top 10 in UK for Building and Town & Country Planning, Economics and Engineering-Mechanical.
- 1st in Scotland for Building and Town & Country Planning, Chemistry and Engineering-Mechanical.
- 2nd in Scotland for Accounting & Finance.
National Student Survey 2018
The National Student Survey (NSS) is a survey which gathers honest feedback from final year undergraduates, studying full time.
- At least 90% of students were satisfied overall with their course in 11 of our 23 subject areas.
- Joint 1st in the UK for Software Engineering - 100% of students were satisfied overall with their course.
- 1st in Scotland for: Others in Language and Area Studies; Mathematics; Statistics; Software Engineering - based on overall satisfaction.
- 1st in Scotland for: Chemical, Process and Energy Engineering; Chemistry; Others in Language and Area Studies; Mathematics; Statistics - based on average % agree.
- 1st in Scotland for Chemistry - 94% of students were satisfied overall with their course.
- 2nd in Scotland for Economics – 92% of students were satisfied overall with their course.
- 2nd in Scotland for Mechanical Engineering - based on overall satisfaction.
- 3rd in the UK for Physics - based on average % agree.
- Civil Engineering – Ranked 10th in the UK with 91% of students satisfied overall with their course.
All NSS data is available on the Unistats website.
Times Higher Education - '100 Under 50' World University Ranking 2015
- 77th in the world, 10th the UK
- 11th in the world and first in Scotland, based on the 'international outlook' indicator from THE World University Rankings. This indicator examines a university’s international student numbers, its percentage of international staff and the proportion of its research papers published with a co-author from at least one other country.
View the THE 100 under 50 universities 2015 rankings
The Times / The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- Overall, 35th out of 132 institutions in the UK and 6th in Scotland
- 4th in the UK for Building
- 8th in the UK for General Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
- 9th in the UK for Mathematics
- Top in Scotland for Building, Mechanical Engineering
- 2nd in Scotland for Chemical Engineering, General Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Town & Country Planning & Landscape
- 3rd in Scotland: Chemistry, German
- We are also ranked joint 17th in the UK and 1st in Scotland for graduate salaries 6 months after graduation.
The Times / The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
We are a truly global university and named by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide as International University of the Year 2018.
The Complete University Guide 2019
- 35th in the UK and 6th in Scotland
- We are ranked 1st in Scotland and 2nd in the UK for Building
- We are ranked in the top ten in the UK for 2 of our subject areas - Building (2nd) and Town & Country Planning (4th)
- We are ranked in the top quartile in the UK for 7 subjects – Accounting & Finance, Art & Design, Building, Computer Science, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, and Town & Country Planning
- We are ranked 3rd in the UK and are top in Scotland for the amount spent on student facilities.
View the Complete University Guide league table 2019.
QS World's University Rankings 2019
The QS World University Rankings table has been published annually since 2004. It features more than 1000 universities with each measured on a variety of factors including academic reputation and employer reputation.
- We rank 302nd in the world, 39th in UK and 7th in Scotland
View the QS World University Rankings 2018/19.
QS Top 50 under 50 2015
A ranking of the world's top 50 universities established within the last 50 years.
- 34th in the world, 3rd in the UK and 1st in Scotland.
View the QS Top 50 under 50 2015
QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017
Top 150 worldwide for Chemical Engineering, and Civil and Structural Engineering
Top 200 worldwide for Statistics & Operational Research (Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics)
Ranked in the top universities worldwide for 11 subjects: Linguistics; Computer Science and information Systems; Chemical Engineering; Civil and Structural Engineering; Electrical Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Chemistry; Mathematics; Physics and Astronomy; Business and Management Studies; Statistics and Operational Research (Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics).
View the QS Top University Rankings by Subject 2017.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
REF 2014 named Heriot-Watt in the top 25% of UK universities, with 82% of our research ranked as world-leading or internationally excellent. We ranked 9th university in the UK and 1st in Scotland for research impact.
Find out more about our REF 2014 results.
The Times / Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019 ranked Heriot-Watt joint 17th in the UK and 1st in Scotland for graduate salaries 6 months after graduation.
95% of Heriot-Watt students are in employment or further study within six months of graduation
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2018
Heriot-Watt is ranked in the top 500 in the world (ranked 401-500) and in the UK top 40 (ranked 35-39) by the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2018.
We have been listed for nine subjects in the Global Ranking of Academic Subjects:
- In the top 75 worldwide for Telecommunication Engineering.
- In the top 150 for Civil Engineering.
- In the top 200 for Mathematics and Finance.
- In the top 300 for Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
- In the top 500 for Physics, Chemistry, and Environmental Science & Engineering.
The Economist: British university rankings
In 2017, The Economist released a league table which considers how much people earn five years after they graduate. Heriot-Watt ranked sixteenth of 125 UK universities.
View The Economist rankings.