Our established reputation
With a history dating back to 1821, we have a long tradition of excellence and a proven track record in educating, inspiring and challenging the professionals of tomorrow. We are one of the top UK universities for business and industry and have an established reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research.
The University and our programmes are in the top rankings in the UK and globally.
- Heriot-Watt is ranked 41st in the world, 15th in the UK and 3rd in Scotland for our international outlook - Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018
- Ranked 26th in the UK and 4th in Scotland - Guardian University Guide 2018
- 40th in UK and 7th in Scotland, and 312th in the World - QS World's University Rankings 2017/18
- 2nd in the UK for Building and Town & Country Planning and top ten in UK for Accounting & Finance and Business Management & Marketing - Guardian University Guide 2018
- 82% of our research ranked 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent' - REF 2014
See more top rankings.
Our high-quality, career-relevant degrees
The degree programmes at Heriot-Watt are career-focused and relevant to the needs of business and industry, leading employers to actively seek out our graduates. We work in partnership with the professions to develop and accredit our degrees, ensuring career-relevant education and an environment that helps to foster the leaders of tomorrow. Our aim is to equip our graduates with the skills to achieve their ambitions and perform at a high level in their careers.
Our international outlook
For over 20 years we have been committed to providing education of the highest standard to students around the world including:
- a pioneering distance learning programme, launched in 1990 to allow students worldwide to study a Heriot-Watt University degree
- our Dubai Campus, opened in 2005, was the first overseas campus in Dubai International Academic City. In 2011 we capitalised on our success by opening the first purpose-built campus
- Today we have 29,500 students studying our programmes in 143 countries
- Our future in Malaysia is an exciting one with the recent opening of our new green campus.
Read more key facts about Heriot-Watt University.
Download our latest Malaysian prospectus.