Terms and conditions
The online payments and recurring card payments systems are provided by the University and its third party suppliers. The University may need to update these terms from time to time. Any changes will be immediately effective.
Please ensure you are aware of the current terms:
- Terms and conditions
- Refund policy
- Cancellation policy
- Service provider
- Data protection
Terms and conditions
Please read these terms carefully before using the online payment facility. By using the online payment facility on this website you accept these terms. If you do not accept these terms do not use this facility.
Definitions and interpretation
The terms used in this agreement have the meanings set out below unless the context requires otherwise:
- "Card supplier" means the institution which owns the debit or credit card you are using on the Online Payment Facility
- "Instalment terms" means the set period and dates over which payment will be charged to the debit or credit card you are using on the Online Payment Facility
- "Online payment facility" means the internet based payment system operated on behalf of the University.
- "Recurring card payment" means payment collections initiated by the University to collect amounts due under the Instalment Terms.
- "Student account" means the account operated and maintained by the University to record the fees, charges, fines or other debts owed to it by an individual student.
- "The University" means Heriot-Watt University, registered address: Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AS Scotland, United Kingdom.
- "You" means the individual setting up a payment via the online payment facility
All payments are subject to the following conditions:
- You warrant that in using the online payment facility you are authorised to use the debit or credit card for the payment or payments you are making.
- Payments received will not be posted to the student account to which you are making a payment until the following working day.
- The University cannot accept liability for a payment not reaching the correct student account due to you providing an incorrect account number or other incorrect details whether personal or otherwise.
- The University cannot accept liability for a payment not reaching the correct student account where payment is refused or declined by the Card Supplier for any reason.
- If the card supplier declines payment, the University is under no obligation to bring this fact to your attention. It is your responsibility to check with the Card Supplier that payment has been deducted from the debit or credit account.
- The University will not be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of the use, inability to use, or the results of use of this site, any websites linked to this site, or the materials or information contained at any or all such sites, whether based on warranty, contract, tort, delict or any other legal theory and whether or not advised of the possibility of such damages.
- All recurring card payments are also subject to the following conditions:
- Recurring card plans will only be available for invoices with a sum greater or equal to £150.00.
By accepting these terms and conditions, you authorise the University to charge the debit or credit card account you have provided for the instalment term you have selected.
Instalment terms are over six months for tuition fees or over six or ten months for accommodation dependant on the length of the contract.
Instalment terms will only be available up until midnight BST on 14 October for each academic year. Any instalment terms offered beyond this are at the discretion of the University.
You agree that there will either be sufficient availability under the credit card limit or sufficient funds in the debit card account to make the recurring card payments when they fall due under the instalment terms.
If a recurring card payment collection fails the University will make a second attempt at collection five working days after the first attempt.
If a second collection attempt fails the instalment terms become void and the outstanding amount will fall due for immediate payment. A £12.00 administration fee will also be applied to the student account; this fee will also be due for immediate payment.
Please refer to our student fee policies:
If the student leaves the University before they complete their programme, any entitlement to a refund of tuition fees will be made in line with the University refund policy prevailing at any time the student leaves.
Such refunds only apply to the tuition fees paid in respect of the academic year in which the student leaves. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this policy shall require the University to refund the fees (or part thereof) unless such fees (or part thereof) have previously been paid.
Entitlement to a refund of accommodation fees will be determined in the accommodation terms and conditions to be signed by the student on acceptance of University or University-arranged accommodation.
Refunds if applicable, can only be credited back to the debit/credit card used for the original transaction and must be within 90 days of the transaction being paid. Out with the 90 days payment will be credited back to the payers' bank account once they have supplied the account details.
Payments taken in error by the University will be refunded in the same manner and any subsequent bank charges applied by the bank will also be refunded provided documentary evidence is supplied by the payer.
The cancellation policy of Heriot-Watt University and any subsequent refunds due as a result are contained within the rules and regulations as set-out in the handbook.
You can cancel your recurring card payment authorisation by contacting Heriot-Watt University by telephone on +44 (0) 131 451 4079 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 5 days before the next instalment due date. Should a balance still be outstanding for tuition or accommodation fees the fee will become due for payment in full immediately.
Cancellations will be processed upon request if received within 5 days before the next instalment due date.
For further information on cancellations see our student fee policies:
All payment details which are entered through this payment gateway are encrypted when the student, or payer making payment, enters them. Communications to and from the service provider’s site are encrypted.
The University shall not be liable for any failure by the student or payer making payment of fees to properly protect data from being seen on their screen by other persons or otherwise obtained by such persons, during the online payment process or in respect of any omission to provide accurate information in the course of the online payment process.
Online recurring card payment is available to payers other than students providing the student ID reference and date of birth is provided to them by the student.
Students providing this information are authorising the payer to view their outstanding tuition and accommodation invoices.
Online payments of fees can be made by credit or debit card. These payments are not collected by the University directly but by the service provider.
When a student makes an online immediate payment they will receive a confirmation email. If this is not received within 14 days it is the responsibility of the student to check with the University that the payment has been accepted.
No confirmation email will be sent for recurring card payments.
In this clause the term "personal data" is as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA).
The University will collect (or may already hold) personal data relating to the student, or payer making payment, including name, date of birth, address and student identification number of the student in accordance with its data protection policy.
By agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions the student, (and any payer making payment), accepts and consents to his/her personal data, as detailed in clause above, being provided to the service provider for sole purpose of the service provider offering and administering the online payment facility to the student, or payer making payment.
It is the responsibility of the student, or payer making payment, to ensure that all personal data provided to or held by the university and/or provided to the service provider is clear and accurate. The University will not be responsible for any losses suffered by the student, or payer making payment, as a result of inaccurate information being provided to the University or the service provider.
The University may use the personal information provided to it to contact the student, or payer making payment, to clarify or resolve any issues that arise in connection with any online payment made in respect of the fees.
For further information on how the University processes your personal data and your rights under the Data Protection Act, see:
- Heriot-Watt University data protection policy
- Privacy Notice: Current Students
- Privacy Notice: Prospective Students
Advance notices, receipts and failed payment notices will be sent to the payer by email.