Passwords and PINs
Heriot-Watt UserID and password
Staff and students have a UserID and password that is used to access the university computer systems. This is used to log into a number of centrally supported services e.g.
- University desktop PCs
- Library resources e.g. databases and other electronic resources when off-campus
- Student Administration Systems System (SAS) - a secure online area where you can find your exam results and update personal address and email information.
Strong Password Policy
- 16-character minimum
- Contain characters from three of the four categories:
- English uppercase characters (A-Z)
- English lowercase characters (a-z)
- Numbers (0-9)
- Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %)
HWU IS recommend using a strong and different password for your Heriot-Watt account using 3 random words.
- Combining 3 random words that each mean something to you is a great way to create a password that is easy to remember but hard to crack.
- Do not use words that can be guessed (like your pet's name).
- You can include numbers and symbols if needed. For example, “Hippo!PizzaRocket1”
For more details on this from the National Cyber Security Centre, click here.
NB We'll never ask for your password by email, phone or in person - nor should anyone else.
How to change your password
For help with changing your password, please see the 'How to change your password' guide.
Person ID and PIN
(To be used by students before they have enrolled)
Students will also have a Person ID and PIN number to use when you first enrol with the University in the Student Administration System (SAS).
Before enrolment, students are able to update their Self-Service PIN from the login page - simply follow the onscreen instructions.
After enrolment students can logon to https://myhwu.hw.ac.uk/ssomanager/c/SSB with the firstname.lastname@example.org and your Heriot-Watt password.
Scottish Borders Campus User name and Password
Your Person ID (without the letter “H”) is the User name and Password for Campus PCs and iMacs.
It is also used to access Campus MFDs (Multi-Function Devices which provide printing, copying and scanning).
To change your Campus password
- Log in to a Campus PC
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
- Select Change a password