Change your HWU password
Students only - forgotten password reset page
You can generate a link to reset your student password by entering your personal/home email (used for enrolment) in the box at https://idm.hw.ac.uk/sfpr/ . Click the link in the email from your mailbox (check Junk if it doesn't arrive). Then follow the instructions on the reset password page.
Staff (and PGRs) only - to change your password using a University managed laptop/PC:
- Either connect to the University wired network (via your docking station or network cable in your office), HWU Eduroam, or connect to the VPN
- Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard (Ctrl + Alt + End if connected via Remote Desktop)
- Click Change a password
- Enter your old password once and a new password twice, ensuring it meets the length and character requirements.
- Click Submit
Students and staff - to change your password (if you know the current one):
- Log in to https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/ChangePassword.aspx using your Heriot-Watt credentials
- Click CHANGE PASSWORD
- Enter your old password once and a new password twice, ensuring it meets the length and character stipulations.
- Click Submit
Points to note/FAQ
- You can access the password length and complexity requirements here
- After a password change, any devices and apps connected to HWU systems will need to have the new password entered to continue using them. This will generate an MFA request.
- If you use https://myaccount.microsoft.com to change your password on a managed laptop, this will reset your HWU password, but not your local password on the laptop. To resynchronise:
- Connect to the wired network or VPN
- Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard
- Lock your device
- Unlock your device using the new password
- If you use https://myaccount.microsoft.com to change your password on a managed Mac or Macbook, this will reset your HWU password, but not your local password on the Macbook device. To resynchronise:
- Reboot the Mac/Macbook
- Log in using the new password - you will be prompted for MFA
- You will be prompted to change your local password – simply change it to match the new one that you set above.