The University recognises that, during the current pandemic crisis, many more students may find themselves in financial difficulties. We are trying to speed up the response time, while also dealing with more cases than normal. In addition, we are providing more funding for students and introducing a simplified approach for urgent cases.
Emergency funds may also be available. Please see our Student Emergency Support Fund page for more information.
As well as scholarships and bursaries, there may be other forms of financial support available to you from UK governments, depending on your circumstances and eligibility. Find out more about financial support available.
Student hardship funds
Discretionary hardship fund
The University receives money every year from the Scottish Government to assist students who are experiencing financial difficulty. Money is awarded for help with living costs (not tuition fees) and is paid as a grant. The fund is discretionary. To be eligible you must:
- be a registered student either full- or part-time
- accessed the maximum student loan you are entitled to
- provide evidence of your financial situation, such as current bank statements; and
- show that you have tried to budget your finances.
If you are a home full-time student and in receipt of the full student loan you are entitled to, you can apply for assistance to help pay formal registered childcare costs.
Overseas students studying at the Scottish campuses
The University has a limited fund to assist overseas students studying at the Scottish campuses who get into financial difficulty. Money may be awarded for help with living costs (not tuition fees) and is paid as a grant. The fund is discretionary and limited. To be eligible you must:
- be a registered student studying at the Scottish campuses
- provide evidence of your financial situation, such as current bank statements
- show that you have tried to budget your finances; and
- show that you have had exceptional circumstances that affected your financial situation.
How to apply for hardship funds
To apply, please use myHWU (student portal) and the ASK HWU tile.
Enter HARDSHIP and select the option 'How do I apply for support due to unexpected financial hardship'.