Pre-Masters Graduate Diploma in Design Studies
The Pre-Master Graduate Diploma Design programme is designed to prepare you for postgraduate taught study, in a learning environment that's been specifically created for you to thrive in.
Our Pre-Masters Graduate Diploma is your pathway to a career-focused postgraduate degree in your chosen subject area with Heriot-Watt, a leading global university.
We will champion and support you throughout your time at Heriot-Watt. We are here to help you succeed in your ultimate goal of achieving a career-focused postgraduate degree.
The Graduate Diploma provides you with a blend of English language and academic skills set within a discipline context focused on your chosen specialism. Its primary aim is to ensure you are prepared for the demand of study at Masters level, by equipping you with the appropriate English competencies, personal effectiveness and study skills needed for postgraduate studies. You will also be provided with the necessary discipline specific prior knowledge for your chosen Masters programme.
Upon completion, you will have the opportunity to advance your studies in a selection of design-related Masters programmes. Our Masters degrees are tailored to ensure you have the skills and knowledge to enter the workplace and perform at a high level right away. Most of our postgraduate degrees will give you the chance to work on live projects with global brands that will ensure your CV stands out once you've graduated.
The Heriot-Watt Pre-Masters Graduate Diploma is for you if:
- You're an international student who does not have the appropriate English requirements
- You do not meet the published entry requirements for your postgraduate degree
- You're returning to education after some time away and need support
- You're switching to a study area that differs from your undergraduate degree
Benefits of our Pre-Masters Graduate Diploma
- Become part of our exciting, supportive global community
- A personalised study experience, tailored to meet your needs and optimise your experience
- Our award-winning, professional careers team are here to fully support you throughout your time at Heriot-Watt
- Prepares you for entry into your chosen postgraduate degree programme
Once you've completed this programme, our postgraduate degrees are tailored to ensure you have the skills and knowledge to enter the workplace and perform at a high level right away. Most of our postgraduate degrees will give you the chance to work on live projects with global brands that will ensure your CV stands out once you've graduated.
Pre-Master Graduate Diploma in Design - one year
Completion of this will get you onto the following postgraduate programmes:
The programme consists of three 20 credit courses with one mandatory course in English and Academic Skills for Postgraduate Study and two other option courses taken according to your pathway.
- English for Postgraduate Study 1
- English for Postgraduate Study 2
- Collaborative Design
- Creativity and Critical Thinking
- Design Project Pathway
- Design Research
- Visual Presentation and Communication
English language requirements
IELTS 5.5 with no bands below 5.0. Completed any related ordinary degree or graduate diploma equivalent, or completed a non-cognate honours degree looking for a discipline change. Please see our detailed English language requirements.
Academic entry requirements
- Bangladesh - Undergraduate honours degree (3 Year) with a final mark of 50% or a 3 Year Undergraduate (Regular Pass) 55%
- China - Full time Undergraduate Graduation Certificate/Full time studies or Junior College Diploma (max 1 year internship accepted) with 70% overall
- Ghana - Higher National Diploma - GPA of 3.0
- Hong Kong - Recognised first degree, or an Associate degree with a GPA of 3.0
- India - Recognised 3 year honours degree at 45% or a 3 year degree at 50% or a 4 year degree at 45%.
- Indonesia - Diploma IV (D4) with 3.0 or recognised first degree
- Iran - Recognised first degree
- Jordan - Bachelors degree with a pass grade
- Kazakhstan - Recognised first degree
- Kuwait - Recognised first degree
- Libya - Higher Diploma in a related subject
- Malaysia - Advanced Diploma with 70%
- Oman - Recognised first degree
- Nigeria - Recognised first degree
- Pakistan - Recognised first degree. A 3 Year honours degree with a GPA of 50%, or 3 Year Bachelor degree with a GPA of 55%, 4 Year Undergraduate (Any) 50%
- Qatar - Recognised first degree
- Saudi Arabia - Recognised first degree
- Thailand - Recognised first degree
- United Arab Emirates - Recognised first degree GPA 2.0/4.0 scale or 2.5/5.0 scale
- Ukraine - Recognised first degree
Additional fees information
Additional scholarship information
The 20% alumni offer is not available on this pre-masters programme.