MA Fashion and Textiles Design with Industry Placement
- Full-time, Part-time
- Course type
- Scottish Borders
- Entry date
Our Fashion and Textiles Design with Placement degree explores concepts and contemporary topics in design, fashion and textiles and its application in a defined practical setting
Chat with an academic online
We are running a series of 'Chat with an academic' sessions. Each session is subject specific and runs between 11 January and 5 May 2023. Find the session of interest to you and book your place.
The course aims to develop practice-based learning, informed by an in-depth study of design. It tends to attract students from an art and design background, looking to challenge established practice and offer new insights. Through well-resourced workshops the course also promotes new approaches and processes.
You'll be able to study an area of fashion and textiles that interests you. You'll also be encouraged to work on inter-disciplinary projects, reflecting the school's strategy of creative collaborations between subject areas to foster design innovation. And you'll be supported by staff with knowledge that covers everything from design and manufacture through to technology and creativity.
We work closely with established industry partners in the field of fashion and textiles. Our support team will meet with you at the end of semester 1 to assist you in finding a suitable placement. We encourage you to utilise your own professional network to source independent placements, and our team will work with your contacts to secure and manage these additional industry placements. Our business organisations will use an interview process to recruit their placement students. As the placement is credit bearing, to progress onto the 3 month placement you will need to reach the designated attainment status beforehand. The aim is for the placement to provide you with the skills and knowledge to complete your final masters research project and to give you practice based work experience. Find out about our placements in the student handbook.
The Fashion and Textiles Design with Industrial Placement degree is taught at our Scottish Borders Campus in Galashiels. To find out more about the final design collections, visit the School pages.
- Challenge traditional and contemporary uses of fashion and textiles, as well as creating the opportunity to promote new approaches and processes in fashion and textiles
- Provide students with the knowledge, skills and competencies to meet the diverse demands of the fashion and textile industries
- Encourage, in inter-disciplinary projects, creative collaborations between subject areas to foster innovation
- Develop an inter-disciplinary understanding of key issues relating to the design, management and innovation in fashion and textiles
- Develop competent and confident professionals for the global fashion and textiles industries with an in-depth understanding of the creative process and its management in international and local contexts
The full-time course is offered in September and lasts 15 months.
September 2023 entry
The deadline for applications from Scottish and RUK students is 31st August 2023. For EU and overseas applicants, we guarantee to consider applications submitted by 1st August 2023.
Some of our Postgraduate Taught Masters Programmes are eligible for Inter-Campus Transfer. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Students negotiate with their supervisor to concentrate on an appropriate area of study to acquire knowledge and expertise in an area of fashion and textiles that supports their individual project intended outcome. The areas available across the School reflect the breadth of expertise relevant to fashion and textiles.
Semesters 1 and 2 students take 2 mandatory and 2 optional courses.
Students take part in their industry placement and complete a dissertation.
- Design Thinking and Innovation
- Fashion and Textiles
- Sustainable Design and Management
Semester 1 - Stage 2
- Master Design Collection
- Fashion and Textiles Development and Practice
- Research Methodologies and Design Technologies, or Business Enterprise
The programme attracts students primarily from an art and design background, and expects that each student develop their own design collection.
You should hold a good (ﬁrst or second class) Honours degree or its non-UK equivalent in a relevant subject from a recognised British or overseas university. In addition, work or project experience in a related company role will be taken into consideration as part of the application process.
Applications are made by completing an online application form. Please upload the following documents as part of your application:
- A copy of your degree(s) certificates and relevant transcripts
- A portfolio of past work which demonstrates skills and creativity
- A CV
- If required, proof of English language
English language requirements
If you are from a country that is not on the UKVI majority English-speaking country list, you are required to provide proof of English. Please refer to our English language requirements for details of evidence that we accept. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
Pre-sessional English courses are available for applicants at the Edinburgh Campus to improve on English language usage and study skills. Please note that completion of pre-sessional courses are not a guarantee of admittance.
- Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
- Overseas includes applications from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in the UK. Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
Additional fees information
The fees listed above apply to Year 1 of this MSc.
Placement fees: Fees are payable for the three month placement of this degree.
Scholarships and bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.
View our full range of postgraduate scholarships.