- Full-time, Part-time
- Course type
- Scottish Borders
- Entry date
Our Fashion and Textiles Design with Placement degree explores concepts and contemporary topics in design, fashion and textiles and its application in a defined practical setting
The course aims to develop practice-based learning, informed by an in-depth study of design. It tends to attract students from an art and design background, looking to challenge established practice and offer new insights. Through well-resourced workshops the course also promotes new approaches and processes.
You’ll be able to study an area of fashion and textiles that interests you. You’ll also be encouraged to work on inter-disciplinary projects, reflecting the school's strategy of creative collaborations between subject areas to foster design innovation. And you’ll be supported by staff with knowledge that covers everything from design and manufacture through to technology and creativity.
We work closely with established industry partners in the field of fashion and textiles. Our support team will meet with you at the end of semester 1 to assist you in finding a suitable placement. We encourage you to utilise your own professional network to source independent placements, and our team will work with your contacts to secure and manage these additional industry placements. Our business organisations will use an interview process to recruit their placement students. As the placement is credit bearing, to progress onto the 3 month placement you will need to reach the designated attainment status beforehand. The aim is for the placement to provide you with the skills and knowledge to complete your final masters research project and to give you practice based work experience. Find out about our placements in the student handbook.
- Challenge traditional and contemporary uses of fashion and textiles, as well as creating the opportunity to promote new approaches and processes in fashion and textiles
- Provide students with the knowledge, skills and competencies to meet the diverse demands of the fashion and textile industries
- Encourage, in inter-disciplinary projects, creative collaborations between subject areas to foster innovation
- Develop an inter-disciplinary understanding of key issues relating to the design, management and innovation in fashion and textiles
- Develop competent and confident professionals for the global fashion and textiles industries with an in-depth understanding of the creative process and its management in international and local contexts
The full-time course is offered in September and lasts one year.
Students negotiate with their supervisor to concentrate on an appropriate area of study to acquire knowledge and expertise in an area of fashion and textiles that supports their individual project intended outcome. The areas available across the School reflect the breadth of expertise relevant to fashion and textiles.
Semesters 1 and 2 students take 2 mandatory and 2 optional courses.
Students take part in their industry placement and complete a dissertation.
- Design Thinking and Innovation
- Fashion and Textiles Practice and Expertise 1
- Sustainable Design
- Research Methods
- Fashion and Textiles Practice and Expertise 2
- Design Technologies
- Business Enterprise
Attracting applicants from art and design backgrounds and resulting in a design collection.
You should hold a good (first or second class) Honours degree or its non-UK equivalent in a relevant subject from a recognised British or Overseas University. In addition, work or project experience in a related company role will be taken into consideration as part of the application process.
How to apply
Applications are made by submitting a completed application form to the Postgraduate Office at the Edinburgh Campus. Additionally, before original decision can be given, applicants will be asked to supply documentation to provide proof of academic background and suitability as a candidate:
- A copy of your degree(s) certificates and relevant transcripts
- A portfolio of past design work where appropriate
- Proof of having being awarded a first degree(s)
- Proof of your ability in the English language if this is not your mother tongue
- Proof of how your tuition fee and personal maintenance costs are to be met
- Two academic referees
For full details about our application process including relevant forms and guidance notes, please contact us or visit our website at www.tex.hw.ac.uk
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.0 or equivalent. Pre-sessional English courses are available for applicants at the Edinburgh Campus to improve on English language usage and study skills. Please note that completion of pre-sessional courses are not a guarantee of admittance. Please contact us for more information.
- 14 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with no more than one skill at 4.5);
- 10 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with minimum of 5.0 in all skills);
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5 with minimum of 5.5 in reading & writing and minimum of 5.0 in speaking & listening)
- Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
- Overseas includes applications from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in the UK. Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
Additional fees information
Placement fees: Fees are payable for the three month placement of this degree. The fees listed above apply to Year 1 of this MSc. The fees for the Industry Placement are yet to be confirmed.
Scholarships and bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.
View our full range of postgraduate scholarships.