BSc (Hons) Fashion Technology
- UCAS code
- 4 years
- Scottish Borders
- Delivery type
Our Fashion Technology degree combines a wide range of manufacturing and technical skills for industry, helping you learn how to create commercially successful apparel.
Learn the skills that bring creativity to life in the real-world utilising technical knowledge. This course includes a fully integrated placement so you will not only learn how to develop great ideas, but how to use commercial design and the latest technology to turn them into successful fashion products.
This course supports you in developing a well-rounded skillset that can help ensure you succeed in a wide range of exciting roles within the fashion industry. You gain a mix of multi-disciplinary skills, practical knowledge which you will confidently apply to real-world experience.
You can take advantage of our links to the garment and fashion industry and we will give you the opportunity to work on exciting, real-life projects. During your studies, you’ll put your skills to the test in an industry setting, giving you the perfect opportunity to make industry contacts and take another step closer to your dream career.
The course is taught in our Scottish Borders Campus, which sits close to the heart of Scotland’s luxury textile industry. This is your chance to study in an area that’s home to some of the UK’s top design and production facilities for textiles and fashion. Find out more about what this unique course has to offer on our School pages.
<br /> BA (Hons) Fashion Technology programme director Bruce Munro Roberts and a final-year student talk about the course.
Develop a fundamental and practical knowledge of fashion product development, design, textiles and fashion marketing. Switching between practical classes, workshops and lectures offers a complete learning experience that will boost your understanding of key principles in the clothing and fashion industry. And you’ll get plenty of chance to show and develop your creative side working on practical projects too.
Year 1 lays the foundations. Year 2 builds on this with commercial context. Making use of our strong industry links, we’ll help you develop skills and knowledge in CAD, design and development, textiles and fashion buying with the possibility of working on live briefs.
Enhance your creative and problem-solving skills working on inter-linked projects that encourage independent learning. You’ll also have the chance to embed the technical and commercial product development expertise you’ve developed by working on live industry projects. Then it’s out into the real world. Students spend the second semester in industry which lets you put everything you’ve learned into practise in an industry setting.
A real chance to express yourself and show your skills. Each student is given the freedom to determine and complete an individual honours project that reflects the diverse and contemporary areas of the clothing and fashion industry. A global context is further explored in the honours year with students studying future textiles, global fashion management and entrepreneurship.
Discover Uni course data
Discover Uni provides data on each university's degree courses across a range of measures including student satisfaction, graduate jobs and salaries.
Standard entry requirements
- Highers ABBB (including English)
- A-Levels BCC (including English)
- Int. Baccalaureate 29 points
- BTEC DMM (in a relevant area)
Minimum entry requirements*
- Highers BBBC (including English)
- A-Levels BCC
* Minimum: under our Fair Access Policy, we will relax our standard entry requirements for some Scottish students depending on their circumstances. Our minimum requirements will apply if you:
- live in an area within the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation lowest 20% (SIMD20), or
- are care experienced.
We can also make exceptions for some Scottish students with grades above minimum but below standard. Read more about our Minimum and standard entry requirements
- HNC B in graded unit (in a relevant HNC)
- BTEC DMM (in relevant subject)
- HND BB in graded unit (in relevant HND)
- This degree is also available through a partnership route at Glasgow Clyde College. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For all years, applications are welcomed from holders of non-school qualifications, mature candidates and overseas students.
- If you do not see your qualifications here please contact us at email@example.com
- Please check that you meet our University-wide National 5/GCSE (or equivalent) English and Maths requirements.
If your application is successful, you will be required to attend an interview, submitting a short statement up to 48 hours in advance of your interview slot. This personal statement should be 300 to 400 words about why you have applied to Heriot-Watt University and what has motivated you to choose Fashion Technology. The interview will take approximately 15 minutes and you will be given the interview questions in advance. Interviews will run from December 2021 to March 2022.
English language requirements
- If English is not your first language, you have to show that your English is good enough to succeed on your course. Please see our English language requirements.
|England / Wales / N Ireland / Rep of Ireland
|Paid by SAAS
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** 'International' includes applicants from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in UK. (This does not include students from the Republic of Ireland - see above). Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
You may incur additional costs in the course of your studies at Heriot-Watt over and above tuition fees in an academic year. Depending on your programme of study, these may include: protective equipment, field trips, professional memberships, studio fees, required course texts or other study resources.
Please note that there is an additional consumable fee, charged per year of study.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales
In addition to government loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible undergraduate students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
- Heriot-Watt University Bursary (up to £3,100 per year)
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.