Visas and immigration

Our International Student Advisors are here to help you with any aspect of applying for a visa or your queries around immigration.

On these pages you will find detailed information on applying for a variety of visas and help with visa and passport issues.

UKVI updates

Visa fee increases

The Home Office have increased the fees for several visa application routes from 06 April 2015. The  increases relevant to students are:

  • Tier 4 Student Visa application fee (outside the UK) increased to £322, Tier 4 Student visa extension (in the UK) increased to £439
  • 6 month Short-term Visitor Visa (previously the 'Student Visitor Visa') application fee increased to £85
  • Extended 11 month Student Visitor Visa application fee (for English language study only) increased to £162

Biometric Identity Documents (BIDs)

The Home Office is changing the way visas are issued to Tier 4 Students and their Dependants. Previously, Tier 4 visas issued outside the UK were valid for the total length of a student's study programme plus an additional 1, 2 or 4 month period based on the programme length and level. During the period from March to July 2015 the Home Office plans to change this so that when your visa is granted in your home country, initially only a short term Entry Clearance vignette will be issued in your passport. This will be issued for use to travel up to 30 days before the course start date on your CAS letter.  If the date when your visa is granted is less than 30 days before your course start date, then the 30 day validity will start from the date your visa is granted. You must travel to the UK within the validity of this vignette.

After using this short-term visa to enter the UK, you will then have to collect your Biometric Identity Document or 'BID' upon arrival in the UK. The BID will be issued in the form of a secure biometric card, and will cover the full visa length appropriate to your study programme including any additional time.

Further information of the introduction of BIDs and the arrangements which will be put in place for the collection of these visa cards will be made available once details have been confirmed by the UKVI.

Migrant Health Charge

The UK Immigration Act 2014 made provision for charging those applying for a UK visa an additional fee as a contribution towards healthcare services in the UK. This will begin on 6 April 2015 and payments are to be made up front as a supplement to the visa application fee. The charge has been set at £150 for students and for their dependants, and will be applied to all applications for a visa for longer than six months if applying from outside the UK, or for any length of visa extension within the UK. The £150 is a pro rata annual fee based on the total number of years that Student or Student Dependant visa is granted. Part years will be charged at £75 if less than six months, and £150 if more than six months duration. Further information can be found on the UKVI website: Immigration health surcharge: information for migrants.