MA (Hons) International Business Management
- UCAS code
- 4 years
- Delivery type
This industry-focused International Business Management degree puts specialist business theory through a real world filter to develop graduates who can add real value to organisations.
In today’s highly globalised economy, working across countries and cultures is a necessity for business survival for many companies and organisations. An international perspective provides a competitive edge in the ever-changing challenges of global markets.
Our MA (Hons) International Business Management degree puts business theory through a real-world filter, developing the specialist knowledge and interpersonal skills needed to thrive in the positions, organisations and industries of the future.
Heriot-Watt University ranked first in Scotland for Management in the National Student Survey 2021, and our programmes are informed by an Industry Advisory Board of business leaders who ensure our curriculum matches the needs of global employers.
We were been ranked first in Scotland for Management in the National Student Survey 2021, measuring overall satisfaction with student experience on our MA (Hons) International Business Management degrees.
The Edinburgh Business School approach ensures that an industry focus is built into every part of this degree, so that your studies reflect the current thinking and practices of successful organisations and their leaders.
The industry experience and research expertise of our staff brings your teaching and learning to life with case study-driven assignments and applied group projects, complemented with guest lectures from industry leaders, CEOs and directors of national and multinational organisations.
Your learning environment
Edinburgh Business School brings together cutting-edge campus facilities with a strong community, known for pioneering research, applied learning and employable graduates.
Our teaching methods reflect the current business environment and will equip you with practical knowledge you can put into practice as soon as you graduate. You will study through a dynamic mix of lectures, tutorials, interactive workshops and case study-informed learning.
Flexible learning/ Customise your learning
We also offer accelerated, three-year undergraduate degrees in International Business Management and Marketing that are a strong option for A-Level students.
This is one of our most flexible degree programmes. If you wish to specialise in one area of International Business Management, we have the following degree pathways available:
The Professional Development Track (PDT) is our suite of practice-focused courses that run through this International Business Management degree and prepare you to add real value to your employer as soon as you graduate. Through the four PDT courses, you will learn how to analyse, report, present and consult in a professional way, and learn about the real-world contexts in which global business operates.
These courses have been designed in response to the needs of practitioners and employers who told us what they are looking for in graduating students. By building in the requirements of industry, the PDT allows graduates to be immediately useful at work, with the attributes, skillsets and practical knowledge that future employers value.
Global College pathway for this degree
If you do not meet the entry requirements for this degree, have a look at Heriot-Watt Global College, where you can follow an accelerated pathway which will get you onto the second year of this degree.
This is one of our most flexible degree programmes. If you wish to specialise in one area of International Business Management we have the following degree pathways available:
My years were shaped significantly by the international exposure of studying in Dubai, Paris and Edinburgh. I knew this was the place to come for an international education to prepare for a career anywhere in the world, and the highly committed lecturers made every class a joy through engaging and practical activities.
With Go Global, Heriot-Watt's global student programme, you can carry your studies to new places and experience new cultures, expanding your horizons on the way.
You'll discover what it means to be a true global citizen and emerge prepared for wherever your career journey will take you.
This Exchange Programme enables you to study or work in Europe as part of your degree programme, usually for a full academic year.
This Exchange Programme enables you to study outside of Europe as part of your degree programme, usually for a full academic year.
All Year 1 students at the School take the same subjects
- Management in a Global Context
- Introduction to Accounting and Finance
- Introduction to Marketing
- Academic Skills
- Discovery Business
- Introductory Economics
- Becoming a Professional
- Human Resource Management
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Quantitive Methods
- Elective (Year 2)
- Operations Management
- Enterprise: Concepts and Issues
- Business Skills
- Elective (Year 2)
Optional courses in Semester 2 include: Business Entities, Enterprise Concepts and Issues, Marketing Perspectives, Organisational Behaviour, Contemporary Economic Policy
- Global Strategic Marketing
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Optional courses in Semester 1 include: Consumer Behaviour, Employment Law, Resourcing and Talent Management, Project Management, Business Venturing, International Trade
- Strategic Management
- Business Research Methods
Optional courses in Semester 2 include: Innovation Management, Critical Approaches to Management, Marketing and Consumer Law, Marketing Communications, Economics in the European Union
- Dissertation 1
- International Business
Optional courses in Semester 1 include: Managing Business Performance, Employment Relations, International Law of HRM, Leisure Marketing, Retail Marketing, The Contemporary Workforce, Development Economics 1
- Dissertation 2
- Strategy Execution
Optional courses in Semester 2 include: Business Ethics, Social Enterprise, Marketing Sustainability, Changing Trends in Employment, International Business Law, Digital Marketing, Diversity Management, Marketing and Management in SMEs, Development Economics 2, International Company Law and Law of Corporate Governance
Discover Uni course data
Discover Uni provides data on each university's degree courses across a range of measures including student satisfaction, graduate jobs and salaries.
Work and study
This is what our MA (Hons) International Business Management students are doing 15 months after graduating:
- 65% are working
- 5% are studying
- 10% are working and studying.
- The average salary of students 15 months after graduating: £24000
- The average UK salary of students 15 months after graduating from a similar course: £24000
These are the most common high skilled jobs students go into 15 months after graduating:
- Business and public service associate professionals
- Managers, directors and senior officials
Standard entry requirements
- Highers AABB (over two sittings)
- A-Levels BBC - ABB
- Int. Baccalaureate 29 points
- BTEC DDM (Business preferred)
- HNC B in graded unit (Business preferred)
- HND BB
Minimum entry requirements*
- Highers BBBC
- A-Levels BBC - ABB
* Minimum: under our Fair Access Policy, we will relax our standard entry requirements for Scottish students depending on their circumstances. Our minimum requirements will apply if you:
- live in an area within the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation lowest 20% (SIMD20), or
- are care experienced.
We can also make exceptions for some Scottish students with grades above minimum but below standard. Read more about our Minimum and standard entry requirements
- Advanced Highers BB including one of Accounting, Business, Economics or Maths, plus AAAB at Higher
- A-Levels ABB including one of Accountancy, Business, Economics or Maths
- Int. Baccalaureate 34 points (with Higher Level Business at 5)
- HNC A in graded unit (Business)
- HND BB in graded units (Business)
- BTEC DDD (Business-related subjects preferred)
- Global College Successful completion of Bachelors Degree Accelerator Foundation - Accounting, Economics and Business Management
- HND AA in graded units (Business)
- For all years, applications are welcomed from holders of non-school qualifications, mature candidates and overseas students.
- If you do not see your qualifications here please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please check that you meet our University-wide National 5/GCSE (or equivalent) English and Maths requirements.
English language requirements
- If English is not your first language, you have to demonstrate that your English language ability is strong enough to succeed on your course. Please refer to our English language requirements.
|Status*||Scotland||England / Wales / N Ireland / Rep of Ireland||International**|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£17,320|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** 'International' includes applicants from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in UK. (This does not include students from the Republic of Ireland - see above). Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
You may incur additional costs in the course of your studies at Heriot-Watt over and above tuition fees in an academic year. Depending on your programme of study, these may include: protective equipment, field trips, professional memberships, studio fees, required course texts or other study resources.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales
In addition to government loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible undergraduate students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
- Heriot-Watt University Bursary (up to £3,100 per year)
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.