MA (Hons) International Business Management
- UCAS code
- 4 years
- Delivery type
Our MA (Hons) International Business Management degree puts business theory through a real-world filter, developing the specialist knowledge and interpersonal skills needed to thrive in the positions, organisations and industries of the future.
In today’s highly globalised economy, working across countries and cultures is a necessity for business survival for many companies and organisations. An international perspective provides a competitive edge in the ever-changing challenges of global markets.
Our International Business Management degree is designed to prepare students with the necessary skills to make a difference in global companies upon completion of the course. This 4 year programme has a mixture of core and optional courses to allow students to tailor their modules choices to their interests and career path.
You can choose specialist areas such as HR, Operations, Marketing or Consumer Behaviour. There is also the core learnings of strategy, leadership and research to make our graduates effective and knowledgeable in multidisciplinary business functions.
Heriot-Watt University ranked first in Scotland for Management in the National Student Survey 2021, measuring overall satisfaction with student experience on our MA (Hons) International Business Management degrees. Our programmes are informed by an Industry Advisory Board of business leaders who ensure our curriculum matches the needs of global employers.
The Edinburgh Business School approach ensures that an industry focus is built into every part of this degree, so that your studies reflect the current thinking and practices of successful organisations and their leaders.
The industry experience and research expertise of our staff brings your teaching and learning to life with case study-driven assignments and applied group projects, complemented with guest lectures from industry leaders, CEOs and directors of national and multinational organisations.
Your learning environment
Edinburgh Business School brings together cutting-edge campus facilities with a strong community, known for pioneering research, applied learning and employable graduates.
We use a blend of practical and theory-based learning, so students can put their learning into action. Our teaching methods reflect the current business environment and will equip you with practical knowledge you can put into practice as soon as you graduate. You will study through a dynamic mix of lectures, tutorials, interactive workshops and case study-informed learning. See our Virtual Experience for more information or find out the dates for our next open days.
We also offer accelerated, three-year undergraduate degrees in International Business Management and Marketing that are a strong option for A-Level students.
Enhanced Employability Through PDT
The Professional Development Track (PDT) is our suite of practice-focused courses that run through this International Business Management degree and prepare you to add real value to your employer as soon as you graduate.
Through the four PDT courses, you will learn how to analyse, report, present and consult in a professional way, and learn about the real-world contexts in which global business operates.
These courses have been designed in response to the needs of practitioners and employers, who told us what they are looking for in graduating students. By building in the requirements of industry, the PDT allows graduates to be immediately useful at work, with the attributes, skill sets and practical knowledge that future employers value.
Global College foundation pathway for International Business Management
If you do not meet the entry requirements for MA (Hons) International Business Management, have a look at foundation entry with Heriot-Watt Global College, where you can follow an accelerated pathway which will get you onto the second year of this degree.
Our Business Degree Accelerator will equip students with a seamless transition into higher education and onto this International Business Management Degree. You will learn the fundamentals of the subject but also transferable skills that will help you succeed in your studies, such as presentation skills, academic writing skills and both independent and collaborative working.
My years were shaped significantly by the international exposure of studying in Dubai, Paris and Edinburgh. I knew this was the place to come for an international education to prepare for a career anywhere in the world, and the highly committed lecturers made every class a joy through engaging and practical activities.
All Year 1 students at the School take the same subjects
- Management in a Global Context
- Introduction to Accounting and Finance
- Introduction to Marketing
- Academic Skills
- Discovery Business
- The Economy
- Becoming a Professional
- Human Resource Management
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Operations Management
- Enterprise: Concepts and Issues
- Business Skills for the Second Machine Age
- Consumer Behaviour
- Organisational Behaviour
- Intercultural Issues in Business and Management
- Quantitative Methods 1
- Global Strategic Marketing
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Strategic Management
- Leading in Organisations
- Business Research Methods
- Business Analysis and Consultancy
- Business Venturing
- Introduction to Commercial Law
- Business Law and the Law of Corporate Governance
- Employment Law
- Innovation Management
- Marketing and Consumer Law
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Project Management
- Resourcing and Talent Management
- Management Dissertation 1
- Global Business Analysis 1: International Markets and Strategy
- Management Dissertation 2
- Global Business Analysis 2: Global Trends and Risks
- The Contemporary Workforce
- Diversity Management
- Digital Marketing
- Employment Relations
- International Entrepreneurship
- Leisure Marketing
- Changing Trends in Employment
- Managing Business Performance
- Retail Marketing
- Marketing Sustainability
- Marketing and Management of SME's
- Team Performance Dynamics
Discover Uni course data
Discover Uni provides data on each university's degree courses across a range of measures including student satisfaction, graduate jobs and salaries.
Work and study
This is what our MA (Hons) International Business Management students are doing 15 months after graduating:
- 65% are working
- 5% are studying
- 10% are working and studying.
- The average salary of students 15 months after graduating: £24000
- The average UK salary of students 15 months after graduating from a similar course: £24000
Potential career paths
- Business and public service associate professionals
- Managers, directors and senior officials
Standard entry requirements for the first year of our MA (Hons) International Business Management are as follows:
- Scottish Highers of AABB
- A-Levels of BBC - ABB
- 29 International Baccalaureate points
- BTEC awards of DDM (in relevant subjects; business, accountancy or finance preferred.)
- Higher National Certificate of B in graded unit (Business preferred)
- Higher National Ditinction BB
Minimum entry requirements for the first year of the course include*:
- Scottish Highers of BBBC
- A-Levels of BBC - ABB
* Under our Fair Access Policy, we will relax our standard entry requirements for Scottish students depending on their circumstances. Our minimum requirements will apply if you live in an area within the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation lowest 20% (SIMD20), or are care experienced.
We can also make exceptions for some Scottish students with grades above minimum but below standard. Read more about our minimum and standard entry requirements
Standard entry requirements for the second year of our MA (Hons) Accounting and Finance Degree are as follows:
- Advanced Scottish Highers of BB including one of Accounting, Business, Economics or Maths, plus AAAB at Higher
- A-Levels of ABB including one of Accountancy, Business, Economics or Maths
- 34 International Baccalaureate points (including at least one of: Accountancy, Business, Economics, Maths at Higher Level 5)
- Higher National Certificate A in graded unit (Business)
- Higher National Distinction BB in graded units (Business)
- BTEC awards of DDD (Business-related subjects preferred)
- Global College Successful completion of our Business with Accelerator Programme
- Higher National Distinction AA in graded units (Business)
- For all years, applications are welcomed from holders of non-school qualifications, mature candidates and overseas students.
- If you do not see your qualifications here please contact us at email@example.com
- Please check that you meet our University-wide National 5/GCSE (or equivalent) English and Maths requirements.
English language requirements
Please see our English language requirements for further information.
|Status*||Scotland||England / Wales / N Ireland / Rep of Ireland||International**|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£19,744|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** 'International' includes applicants from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in UK. (This does not include students from the Republic of Ireland - see above). Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
You may incur additional costs in the course of your studies at Heriot-Watt over and above tuition fees in an academic year. Depending on your programme of study, these may include: protective equipment, field trips, professional memberships, studio fees, required course texts or other study resources.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales
In addition to government loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible undergraduate students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
- Heriot-Watt University Bursary (up to £3,100 per year)
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.