MA (Hons) International Business Management
- UCAS code
- 4 years
- Delivery type
This industry-focused International Business Management degree puts specialist business theory through a real world filter to develop graduates who can add real value to organisations.
Heriot-Watt University has been ranked first in Scotland for Management in the National Student Survey 2021, measuring overall satisfaction with student experience on our MA (Hons) International Business Management degrees.
The MA (Hons) International Business Management degree puts specialist business theory through a real-world filter. It develops the specialist knowledge and interpersonal skills needed to thrive in the positions, organisations and industries of the future.
The theory taught at Edinburgh Business School is informed by the industry experience and research expertise of our staff. They bring International Business Management theory to life with a dynamic mix of lectures, tutorials, interactive workshops and case study-informed learning.
International Business Management degree by year
In Year 1 you will study a common suite of mandatory courses to provide you with a solid, universal understanding of the key principles and practices of modern business. Maintaining a consistent programme of study across all seven International Business Management pathways in Year 1 means it is easy for students to switch their specialism as they move into their second year.
Year 2 introduces functional areas of business and management such as marketing, operations management and human resource management. Years 3 and 4 offer greater choice to allow you to tailor your International Business Management degree to your career aspirations.
In addition to specialist business knowledge, you will develop important transferable skills, such as critical thinking, problem solving, communication and team working, as well as creativity, confidence and research abilities. These skills will help you succeed in your career and personal life.
We also have accelerated, three-year undergraduate degrees in International Business Management and Marketing that are a strong option for A-Level students.
The Edinburgh Business School approach
An industry focus is built into every course on this degree to ensure that your studies reflect the current thinking and practices of successful organisations and their leaders. Our courses are brought to life with case study-driven assignments, applied group projects and guest lectures from industry leaders.
For example, the presentation series Edinburgh Business School Presents gives you the chance to attend regular guest lectures from CEOs and directors of national and multinational organisations who share their vast experience across key areas of business.
The Professional Development Track
The Professional Development Track (PDT) is our suite of practice-focused courses that run through this International Business Management degree and prepare you to add real value to your employer as soon as you graduate. Through the four PDT courses, you will learn how to analyse, report, present and consult in a professional way, and learn about the real-world contexts in which global business operates.
These courses have been designed in response to the needs of practitioners and employers who told us what they are looking for in graduating students. By building in the requirements of industry, the PDT allows graduates to be immediately useful at work, with the attributes, skillsets and practical knowledge that future employers value.
Go Global – study International Business Management in Dubai and Malaysia
Heriot-Watt University’s unique Go Global project is open to those studying undergraduate international business management degrees at the Edinburgh Business School. This means our students can spend one semester or up to two full academic years at our campuses in Dubai and Malaysia. The chance to travel, study and gain experience in three different countries with different business cultures will help you stand out as a global citizen and give you an edge in the recruitment market following graduation.
Students who have taken part in inter-campus transfers have told us how it has helped build their confidence, broaden their horizons and given them new perspectives. Employers have also told us that students with such a wide range of learning, working and life experiences stand out as candidates.
Global College pathway for this degree
If you do not meet the entry requirements for this degree, have a look at Heriot-Watt Global College, where you can follow an accelerated pathway which will get you onto the second year of this degree.
This is one of our most flexible degree programmes. If you wish to specialise in one area of International Business Management we have the following degree pathways available:
My years were shaped significantly by the international exposure of studying in Dubai, Paris and Edinburgh. I knew this was the place to come for an international education to prepare for a career anywhere in the world, and the highly committed lecturers made every class a joy through engaging and practical activities.
All Year 1 students at the School take the same subjects
- Management in a Global Context
- Introduction to Accounting and Finance
- Introduction to Economics
- Introduction to Marketing
- Academic Skills
- Becoming a Professional
- Discovering Business
- Human Resource Management
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Quantitive Methods
- Elective (Year 2)
- Operations Management
- Enterprise: Concepts and Issues
- Business Skills
- Elective (Year 2)
Optional courses in Semester 2 include: Business Entities, Enterprise Concepts and Issues, Marketing Perspectives, Organisational Behaviour, Contemporary Economic Policy
- Global Strategic Marketing
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Optional courses in Semester 1 include: Consumer Behaviour, Employment Law, Resourcing and Talent Management., Project Management, Business Venturing, International Trade
- Strategic Management
- Critical Approaches to Management
- Business Research Methods
Optional courses in Semester 2 include: Innovation Management, Critical Approaches to Management, Marketing and Consumer Law, Marketing Communications, Economics in the European Union
- Dissertation 1
- International Business
Optional courses in Semester 1 include: Managing Business Performance, Employment Relations, International Law of HRM, Leisure Marketing, Retail Marketing, The Contemporary Workforce, Development Economics 1
- Dissertation 2
- Strategy Execution
Optional courses in Semester 2 include: Business Ethics, Social Enterprise, Marketing Sustainability, Changing Trends in Employment, International Business Law, Digital Marketing, Diversity Management, Marketing and Management in SMEs, Development Economics 2, International Company Law and Law of Corporate Governance
Discover Uni course data
Discover Uni provides data on each university's degree courses across a range of measures including student satisfaction, graduate jobs and salaries.
- The average salary of students 15 months after graduating: £22500
- The average UK salary of students 15 months after graduating from a similar course: £23000
These are the most common high skilled jobs students go into 15 months after graduating:
- Business and public service associate professionals
- Finance professionals
Standard entry requirements
- Highers AABB (over two sittings)
- A-Levels BBC - ABB
- Int. Baccalaureate 29 points
- BTEC DDM (Business preferred)
- HNC B in graded unit (Business preferred)
- HND BB
Minimum entry requirements*
- Highers BBBC
- A-Levels BBC - ABB
* Minimum: under our Fair Access Policy, we will relax our standard entry requirements for Scottish students depending on their circumstances. Our minimum requirements will apply if you:
- live in an area within the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation lowest 20% (SIMD20), or
- are care experienced.
We can also make exceptions for some Scottish students with grades above minimum but below standard. Read more about our Minimum and standard entry requirements
- Advanced Highers BB including one of Accounting, Business, Economics or Maths, plus AAAB at Higher
- A-Levels ABB including one of Accountancy, Business, Economics or Maths
- Int. Baccalaureate 34 points (with Higher Level Business at 5)
- HNC A in graded unit (Business)
- HND BB in graded units (Business)
- BTEC DDD (Business-related subjects preferred)
- Global College Successful completion of Bachelors Degree Accelerator Foundation - Accounting, Economics and Business Management
- HND AA in graded units (Business)
- For all years, applications are welcomed from holders of non-school qualifications, mature candidates and overseas students.
- If you do not see your qualifications here please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please check that you meet our University-wide National 5/GCSE (or equivalent) English and Maths requirements.
English language requirements
- If English is not your first language, you have to demonstrate that your English language ability is strong enough to succeed on your course. Please refer to our English language requirements.
|Status*||Scotland||England / Wales / N Ireland / Rep of Ireland||International**|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£16,000|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** 'International' includes applicants from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in UK. (This does not include students from the Republic of Ireland - see above). Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
You may incur additional costs in the course of your studies at Heriot-Watt over and above tuition fees in an academic year. Depending on your programme of study, these may include: protective equipment, field trips, professional memberships, studio fees, required course texts or other study resources.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales
In addition to government loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible undergraduate students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
- Heriot-Watt University Bursary (up to £3,100 per year)
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.