Register now for Clearing updates
- Scotland (Widening Access Places only)
- England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- UCAS code
- 4 years
- Delivery type
Edinburgh Business School’s MA (Hons) Accountancy and Finance is accredited by all major professional bodies in the UK. It prepares students for professional life and features use of Bloomberg Trading Terminals. Over 90% student satisfaction in NSS 2018.
+44 (0)131 451 3729
Edinburgh is the UK’s second biggest financial centre outside of London, and Heriot-Watt University enjoys a well-established reputation in the world of accountancy and financial services. As a reflection of this reputation, we were ranked as the second best university in Scotland for undergraduate accounting and finance degrees in the Guardian University League Tables 2019.
MA (Hons) Accountancy and Finance at the Edinburgh Business School is designed and taught by practising professionals and respected academics. It offers you the chance to develop the skills and knowledge needed for a successful career in accountancy and financial services.
The industry focus of this degree, and its breadth of accreditations, make it possible for you to gain the maximum number of exemptions from professional accountancy exams, offering the strongest possible foundation from which to launch your career.
You can enhance your employability in the area of finance through use of our state-of-the-art Bloomberg Trading Room. This professional-standard facility provides access to live financial data from global markets and organisations. Integrating use of Bloomberg Terminals into our teaching develops professionally relevant skills in data analysis, financial reporting, financial risk management and financial modelling.
The majority of our MA (Hons) Accountancy and Finance graduates go on to become chartered accountants in either professional practice, industry, or the public sector, but many go on to successful careers in banking and finance. A survey by Unistats 2019 found that 91% of recent graduates were in work or further study six months after graduating.
The employable skillset
This degree develops broad understanding of the contexts in which modern accounting operates. It examines the legal and ethical contexts, introduces insight into accountancy as a profession, and analyses business entities and the capital markets in which they operate.
Throughout this four-year degree, you will develop key accountancy expertise in a number of areas, including:
- recording and summarising transactions
- preparing and analysing financial statements
- analysing business operations
- conducting financial analysis
- producing and reporting projections.
On the financial side, you will gain theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the areas of:
- asset pricing
- portfolio construction
- corporate finance
- financial risk management
- capital markets.
Heriot-Watt University is accredited as a Bloomberg Experiential Learning Partner, recongising us as a leader in experiential learning in the area of finance.
As our flagship accounting degree, this accountancy and finance course is accredited by a number of institutions for exemptions from some professional examinations:
- Accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) for the purpose of exemptions from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the Association of International Accountants (AIA) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations through the Accredited degree accelerated route.
- Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (ICAEW) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland (ICAS) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
I wanted to become a chartered accountant so I liked how MA Accountancy and Finance offered exemptions from the professional exams. In 3rd year I did Go Global and studied at the Malaysia Campus. The class sizes were smaller so we got 1 on 1 teaching and I met some great friends and travelled all over South East Asia.
|Year 1 - Semester 1||Year 1 - Semester 2|
|Year 2 - Semester 1||Year 2 - Semester 2|
|Year 3 - Semester 1||Year 3 - Semester 2|
Choose one of:
Choose one of:
|Year 4 - Semester 1||Year 4 - Semester 2|
Choose three from:
Choose three from
Work and study
This is what our MA (Hons) Accountancy and Finance students are doing six months after graduating:
- 70% are working
- 10% are studying
- 10% are working and studying.
- 80% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
- The average salary of students six months after graduating: £20000
- The average UK salary of students six months after graduating from a similar course: £20000
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Business, research and administrative professionals
- Business and public service associate professionals
Year 1Standard entry requirements
- Highers AAAB (over two sittings)
- A-Levels BBB
- Int. Baccalaureate 29 points
- BTEC DDM (Business/Accountancy/Finance preferred)
- HNC B in graded unit
Minimum entry requirements*
- Highers BBBC
- A-Levels BCC
* Minimum: under our Fair Access Policy, we will relax our standard entry requirements for some Scottish students depending on their circumstances. Our minimum requirements will apply if you:
- live in an area within the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation lowest 20% (SIMD20), or
- are care experienced.
We can also make exceptions for some Scottish students with grades above minimum but below standard. Read more about our Minimum and standard entry requirements
Year 2Advanced Highers BB (including at least one: Accountancy, Business, Economics, Maths plus AAAB at Higher)
A-Levels ABB (including at least one of: Accountancy, Business, Economics, Maths)
Int. Baccalaureate 34 points (including at least one of: Accountancy, Business, Economics, Maths at Higher Level 5)
HNC A in graded unit (Accounting)
HND BB in graded units (Accounting or Business)
- HND AA in graded units (Accounting)
- You must enter in year 1 to gain maximum exemptions from accountancy bodies such as ACCA and ICAS.
- If you do not see your qualifications here please contact us at email@example.com
- Please check that you meet our University-wide National 5/GCSE (or equivalent) English and Maths requirements.
- For all years, applications are welcomed from holders of non-school qualifications, mature candidates and overseas students.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, you will have to show us that your English is good enough to succeed on your course. Please refer to our English language requirements.
|Status*||Scotland / EU**||England / Northern Ireland / Wales***||International|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£15,080|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** European Union countries (not including England, Northern Ireland or Wales).
*** 'Rest of the UK' (RUK) students entering at Level 1 receive a fee waiver of one year's tuition fee. Normally this will be the final year, or a year during which students study abroad (either at a partnership institution, or at one of Heriot-Watt's overseas campuses).
4 years for the price of 3
If you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, study with us and save £9,250 over your 4-year degree.
You may incur additional costs in the course of your studies at Heriot-Watt over and above tuition fees in an academic year. Depending on your programme of study, these may include: protective equipment, field trips, professional memberships, studio fees, required course texts or other study resources.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales starting undergraduate degree courses in 2020
In addition to government loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.